Welcome to Alvin ...
Although we found mention of Alvin during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> We believe that Alvin had a post office at one time. We have done a cursory search and haven't been able to find any evidence that the community still exists..
We've added Alvin to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Alvin, please Contact Us.
The origin (or the toponymy) of Alvin: Named after Alvin Thomas Patterson, an early settler in this area.
Time Zone: The area where we believe that Alvin might be (or was) located is in the Pacific Time Zone (PST/PDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: PST- Heure Normale du Pacifique (HNP), PDT- Heure Avancée du Pacifique (HAP).
Communities Also Named Alvin ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 10 communities that are also named Alvin - they are located in Colorado, Georgia (2), Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, South Carolina, Texas and Wisconsin.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Alvin.
Communities near Alvin ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Alvin.
- Buntzen Bay
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Buntzen Bay
- Buntzen Bay lies 18 miles [29 km]<2> to the southwest of Alvin
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Buntzen Bay
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Belcarra
- Belcarra lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<2> to the southwest of Alvin
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Belcarra came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Belcarra
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Belcarra<3>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Coquitlam
- Coquitlam lies 23 miles [37 km]<2> to the south of Alvin
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Coquitlam came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Coquitlam
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Coquitlam<3>
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Deep Cove
- Ioco - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ioco
- Ioco was located 23 miles [37 km]<2> to the southwest of Alvin
- Port Moody
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Tipella
- Tipella lies 23 miles [37 km]<2> to the northeast of Alvin
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Tipella came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Tipella
- Darrell Bay
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Darrell Bay
- Darrell Bay lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<2> to the west of Alvin
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Darrell Bay came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Darrell Bay
- Garibaldi Highlands
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Garibaldi Highlands
- Garibaldi Highlands lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<2> to the west of Alvin
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Garibaldi Highlands came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Garibaldi Highlands
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Garibaldi Highlands<3>
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Alvin ...
Looking for more information about Alvin? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
While we are unaware of a Tourism page that is specific to Alvin, there are neighboring communities that do have Tourism pages. A map of those communities can be found with our TripAdvisor Page for Alvin.
Other Roadside Stops ...
The Communities of British Columbia
About British Columbia
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of British Columbia: https://www.gov.bc.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went north past Alvin and then turned west". While Alvin could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Alvin as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Mile's to see Pete ... Mile's is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Alvin could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Alvin) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Alvin. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 49.6000, Longitude: -122.6333
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|