Welcome to Sunset ...
So far, we have found very little information about Sunset. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Sunset to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Sunset, please Contact Us.
Sunset would have been located within present day Navajo County<2>.
We aren't confident of the location of Sunset, so consider the above location as an estimate.<3>
The location where Sunset once stood is in the (928) area code.
Communities Also Named Sunset ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are two Arizona communities named Sunset: This one is located in Navajo County and the other is located in Graham County.
Beyond Arizona, there are 51 communities that are also named Sunset - they are located in Alabama, Arkansas (2), British Columbia, California (3), Colorado (2), Florida (2), Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Kansas (4), Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Mississippi (2), Missouri, Montana (2), Nevada, New Mexico, New York, Oklahoma, Oregon (2), Pennsylvania (3), South Carolina, Tennessee (3), Texas (4), Utah, Washington (3), West Virginia and Wisconsin.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Sunset.
Communities near Sunset ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Sunset.
- Lechee [Coconino County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lechee
- Lechee [Coconino County] lies 5 miles [8 km]<4> to the west of Sunset
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lechee have been provided by the GNIS.<5> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lechee
- Winslow West [Coconino County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Winslow West
- Winslow West [Coconino County] lies 5 miles [8 km]<4> to the west of Sunset
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Winslow West have been provided by the GNIS.<5> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Winslow West
- Meteor City [Coconino County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Meteor City
- Meteor City [Coconino County] lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<4> to the west of Sunset
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Meteor City have been provided by the GNIS.<5> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Meteor City
- Joseph City [Navajo County]
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Two Guns [Coconino County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Two Guns
- Two Guns [Coconino County] was located 25 miles [40.2 km]<4> to the west of Sunset
- Leupp [Coconino County]
- Canyon Diablo [Coconino County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Canyon Diablo
- Canyon Diablo [Coconino County] was located 27 miles [43.5 km]<4> to the west of Sunset
- Tolani Lake [Coconino County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Tolani Lake
- Tolani Lake [Coconino County] lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<4> to the northwest of Sunset
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Tolani Lake
- Dilkon [Navajo County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Dilkon
- Dilkon [Navajo County] lies 29 miles [46.7 km]<4> to the northeast of Sunset
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Dilkon have been provided by the GNIS.<5> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Dilkon
- Holbrook [Navajo County]
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Sunset. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Sunset.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Sunset. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Sunset.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Sunset. See our Newspapers Page for Sunset.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for Arizona
About Navajo County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Navajo County: www.co.navajo.az.us/
The official website for State of Arizona: https://az.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Sunset, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Arizona's counties, including Navajo, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Sunset) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Sunset. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Sunset
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Sunset. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 35.0460, Longitude: -110.6527
|<5>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|