Welcome to Santa Cruz ...
Although we found mention of Santa Cruz during our research, we have little information about it.<1> Given the context of how Santa Cruz was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We've added Santa Cruz to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Santa Cruz, please Contact Us.
When the people of Santa Cruz refer to themselves (known as a demonym), they frequently use Santa Cruzan<2>
Santa Cruz is 1,040 feet [317 m] above sea level.<3>.
Time Zone: The area where we believe that Santa Cruz might be (or was) located is in the Mountain Standard Time Zone (MST) and does not observe daylight saving time
Communities Also Named Santa Cruz ...
While we believe that this Santa Cruz is located in Pinal County, we know of another 2 Arizona communities named Santa Cruz. Those communities are located in the following counties: Mohave and Pima County.
Beyond Arizona, there are 7 communities that are also named Santa Cruz - they are located in California, New Mexico, Ontario and Texas (2).
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Santa Cruz.
Communities near Santa Cruz ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Santa Cruz.
- Phoenix [Maricopa County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Phoenix
- Phoenix [Maricopa County] lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<4> to the north of Santa Cruz
- Estimated population in 2019: 1,680,992 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Phoenix
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Phoenix<5>
- Chandler [Maricopa County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Chandler
- Chandler [Maricopa County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<4> to the east of Santa Cruz
- Estimated population in 2019: 261,165 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Chandler
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Chandler<5>
- Tempe [Maricopa County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Tempe
- Tempe [Maricopa County] lies 18 miles [29 km]<4> to the northeast of Santa Cruz
- Estimated population in 2019: 195,805 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Tempe
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Tempe<5>
- Avondale [Maricopa County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Avondale
- Avondale [Maricopa County] lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<4> to the northwest of Santa Cruz
- Estimated population in 2019: 87,931 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Avondale
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Avondale<5>
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Maricopa [Pinal County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Maricopa
- Maricopa [Pinal County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<4> to the southeast of Santa Cruz
- Estimated population in 2015: 48,602 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Maricopa
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Maricopa<5>
- Tolleson [Maricopa County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Tolleson
- Tolleson [Maricopa County] lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<4> to the north of Santa Cruz
- Estimated population in 2019: 7,372 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Tolleson
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Tolleson<5>
- Guadalupe [Maricopa County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Guadalupe
- Guadalupe [Maricopa County] lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<4> to the northeast of Santa Cruz
- Estimated population in 2019: 6,631 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Guadalupe
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Guadalupe<5>
- Komatke [Maricopa County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Komatke
- Komatke [Maricopa County] lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<4> to the north of Santa Cruz
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Komatke have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Komatke
- Co-op Village [Maricopa County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Co-op Village
- Co-op Village [Maricopa County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<4> to the north of Santa Cruz
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Co-op Village have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Co-op Village
- Laveen Village [Maricopa County]
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Santa Cruz. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Santa Cruz.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Santa Cruz. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Santa Cruz.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Santa Cruz. See our Newspapers Page for Santa Cruz.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Santa Cruz ...
Looking for more information about Santa Cruz? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
While we are unaware of a Tourism page that is specific to Santa Cruz, there are neighboring communities that do have Tourism pages. A map of those communities can be found with our TripAdvisor Page for Santa Cruz.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Visit our Community Index for Arizona
About Pinal County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Pinal County: www.co.pinal.az.us/
The official website for State of Arizona: https://az.gov/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went north past Santa Cruz and then turned west". While Santa Cruz could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Santa Cruz as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Miller Creek to see Pete ... Miller Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Santa Cruz could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong county. Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how the residents of Santa Cruz refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a community's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of Santa Cruz may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.|
|<3>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Santa Cruz - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Santa Cruz) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Santa Cruz. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Santa Cruz
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Santa Cruz. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 33.2331, Longitude: -112.1690
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|