Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Oak Springs, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Oak Springs and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Oak Springs:
- 35.475541, -109.132327
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Oak Springs
- Bird Watching ...
- We enjoy finding new spots for bird watching and we use the eBird website for local sighting reports and to help identify hotspots.
- The eBird website is organized on a county-by-county basis. We have selected Apache County as the starting point when you click on the link below:
- eBird sighting report for Apache County
- Since Oak Springs is near McKinley County, we have provided a link to its eBird sighting report:
- eBird sighting report for McKinley County
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Oak Springs ...
We have found four communities that share the name Oak Springs.
Within Arizona, the name Oak Springs is unique.
Beyond Arizona, we know of another four communities that are located throughout in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Hillsborough County
- This Oak Springs is located in Hillsborough County and lies 1,643 miles [2,644.2 km]<1> to the east of the Oak Springs that is located in Apache County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Oak Springs
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Hillsborough County community of Oak Springs.
- Montgomery County
- This Oak Springs is located in Montgomery County and lies 1,774 miles [2,855 km]<1> to the east northeast of the Oak Springs that is located in Apache County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Oak Springs
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Montgomery County community of Oak Springs.
- Nye County
- This community is historic<2> and we have very little information. For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Nevada community of Oak Springs [Nye County].
- Wasco County
- This Oak Springs is located in Wasco County and lies 919 miles [1,479 km]<1> to the northwest of the Oak Springs that is located in Apache County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Oak Springs
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Wasco County community of Oak Springs.
Curious and Interesting Names Near Oak Springs ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Bonita Trading Post [Apache County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bonita Trading Post
- Bonita Trading Post [Apache County] lies 18 miles [29 km]<1> to the north of Oak Springs
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Bonita Trading Post have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bonita Trading Post
- Defiance [McKinley County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Defiance
- Defiance [McKinley County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<1> to the east of Oak Springs
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Defiance
- Fort Defiance [Apache County]
- Hunters Point [Apache County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hunters Point
- Hunters Point [Apache County] lies 5 miles [8 km]<1> to the north of Oak Springs
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hunters Point
- Continue List (5 more) ...
- Pine Springs [Apache County]
- Rock Springs [McKinley County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rock Springs
- Rock Springs [McKinley County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<1> to the northeast of Oak Springs
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rock Springs
- Twin Buttes [McKinley County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Twin Buttes
- Twin Buttes [McKinley County] lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<1> to the east of Oak Springs
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Twin Buttes have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Twin Buttes
- Wide Ruins [Apache County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Wide Ruins
- Wide Ruins [Apache County] lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<1> to the west of Oak Springs
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Wide Ruins
- Window Rock [Apache County]
How Far From Oak Springs to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Oak Springs to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Oak Springs and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Saint Johns, which is the Seat of Apache County and lies 68 miles [109.4 km]<1> to the south southwest. If you could walk a straight line from Oak Springs to Saint Johns, with an average speed<5> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take three full days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take about three full days.
- Phoenix, which is the State Capital of Arizona, lies 218 miles [350.8 km] to the southwest (SW). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take nearly four hours, a buggy would take 9 days and walking would take 13 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,772 miles [2,851.8 km] to the east northeast (ENE). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 70 days and walking would take 101 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 7,242 miles [11,654.9 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 8,006 miles [12,884.4 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,936 miles [9,553.1 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community located in Arizona
About Apache County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Oak Springs. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Apache County: www.co.apache.az.us/
The official website for State of Arizona: https://az.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Oak Springs) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Oak Springs. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Oak Springs
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Oak Springs. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 35.4755, Longitude: -109.1323
|<2>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Oak Springs, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Oak Springs to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 329.172 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 327.734 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 320.536 degrees.||