Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in McVay, we use the following websites to find information relevant to McVay and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for McVay:
- 33.811477, -113.835704
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on McVay
- Bird Watching ...
- We enjoy finding new spots for bird watching and we use the eBird website for local sighting reports and to help identify hotspots.
- The eBird website is organized on a county-by-county basis. We have selected La Paz County as the starting point when you click on the link below:
- eBird sighting report for La Paz County
- Since McVay is near Maricopa County, we have provided a link to its eBird sighting report:
- eBird sighting report for Maricopa County
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named McVay ...
We have found one communities that share the name McVay.
Within Arizona, the name McVay is unique.
Beyond Arizona, there is another community also named McVay in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Clarke County
- This McVay is located in Clarke County and lies 1,510 miles [2,430.1 km]<1> to the east of the McVay that is located in La Paz County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on McVay
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Clarke County community of McVay.
Curious and Interesting Names Near McVay ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Big River [San Bernardino County]
- Bush Pit [La Paz County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bush Pit
- Bush Pit [La Paz County] lies 5 miles [8 km]<1> to the southeast of McVay
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Bush Pit have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bush Pit
- Desert Wells [La Paz County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Desert Wells
- Desert Wells [La Paz County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<1> to the south of McVay
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Desert Wells have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Desert Wells
- Hope [La Paz County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hope
- Hope [La Paz County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<1> to the southeast of McVay
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Hope have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hope
- Continue List (3 more) ...
- Love [La Paz County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Love
- Love [La Paz County] lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<1> to the east of McVay
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Love have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Love
- Pioneer [La Paz County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Pioneer
- Pioneer [La Paz County] lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<1> to the south of McVay
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Pioneer have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pioneer
- Quartzsite [La Paz County]
How Far From McVay to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as McVay to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in McVay and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Parker, which is the Seat of La Paz County and lies 34 miles [54.7 km]<1> to the northwest. If you could walk a straight line from McVay to Parker, with an average speed<4> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take most of two days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take just about two full days.
- Phoenix, which is the State Capital of Arizona, lies 104 miles [167.4 km] to the east southeast (ESE). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take less than two hours, a buggy would take 4 days and walking would take 6 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 2,062 miles [3,318.5 km] to the east northeast (ENE). Driving would take 4 days, a buggy would take 81 days and walking would take 118 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 7,473 miles [12,026.6 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 8,240 miles [13,261 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 6,192 miles [9,965.1 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
The Communities of Arizona
About La Paz County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for McVay. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for La Paz County: www.co.la-paz.az.us/
The official website for State of Arizona: https://az.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- McVay) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for McVay. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from McVay
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in McVay. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 33.8115, Longitude: -113.8357
|<2>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from McVay to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 332.612 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 331.721 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 323.135 degrees.||