Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Jacob Lake, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Jacob Lake and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Jacob Lake:
- 36.714652, -112.215795
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Jacob Lake
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Jacob Lake ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Big Springs [Coconino County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Big Springs
- Big Springs [Coconino County] lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<1> to the southwest of Jacob Lake
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Big Springs have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Big Springs
- Big Water [Kane County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Big Water
- Big Water [Kane County] lies 39 miles [62.8 km]<1> to the northeast of Jacob Lake
- Estimated population in 2019: 511 people
- Former name for Big Water:
- Glen Canyon City
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Big Water
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Big Water<3>
- Booze Crossing [Mohave County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Booze Crossing
- Booze Crossing [Mohave County] lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<1> to the west of Jacob Lake
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Booze Crossing have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Booze Crossing
- Cane [Coconino County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cane
- Cane [Coconino County] lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<1> to the southeast of Jacob Lake
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Cane have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cane
- Marble Canyon [Coconino County]
- Sixmile Village [Mohave County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sixmile Village
- Sixmile Village [Mohave County] lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<1> to the northwest of Jacob Lake
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Sixmile Village have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sixmile Village
How Far From Jacob Lake to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Jacob Lake to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Jacob Lake and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Flagstaff, which is the Seat of Coconino County and lies 109 miles [175.4 km]<1> to the south southeast. If you could drive a straight line from Jacob Lake to Flagstaff, with an average speed<4>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take about two hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 7 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 5 days.
- Phoenix, which is the State Capital of Arizona, lies 225 miles [362.1 km] to the south (S). Driving would take nearly four hours, a buggy would take 9 days and walking would take 13 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,913 miles [3,078.7 km] to the east northeast (ENE). Driving would take three full days, a buggy would take 75 days and walking would take 109 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 7,253 miles [11,672.6 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 8,020 miles [12,906.9 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,977 miles [9,619 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community located in Arizona
About Coconino County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Jacob Lake. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Coconino County: www.co.coconino.az.us/
The official website for State of Arizona: https://az.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Jacob Lake) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Jacob Lake. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Jacob Lake
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Jacob Lake. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 36.7147, Longitude: -112.2158
|<2>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Jacob Lake to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 331.732 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 330.908 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 322.176 degrees.||