Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Hyder, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Hyder and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Hyder:
- 33.016435, -113.348800
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Hyder
- Bird Watching ...
- We enjoy finding new spots for bird watching and we use the eBird website for local sighting reports and to help identify hotspots.
- The eBird website is organized on a county-by-county basis. We have selected Yuma County as the starting point when you click on the link below:
- eBird sighting report for Yuma County
- Since Hyder is near Maricopa County, we have provided a link to its eBird sighting report:
- eBird sighting report for Maricopa County
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Hyder ...
We have found two communities that share the name Hyder.
Within Arizona, the name Hyder is unique.
Beyond Arizona, we know of another two communities that are located throughout in the United States and Canada. Of these two communities, one is located in the United States and the other in Canada.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- This Hyder lies 1,771 miles [2,850.1 km]<1> to the north northwest of the Hyder that is located in Yuma County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hyder
- We haven't found the location of this community yet.
Curious and Interesting Names Near Hyder ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Aztec [Yuma County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Aztec
- Aztec [Yuma County] lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<1> to the south of Hyder
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Aztec
- Camel [Maricopa County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Camel
- Camel [Maricopa County] lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<1> to the northeast of Hyder
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Camel have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Camel
- Camp Horn [Yuma County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Camp Horn
- Camp Horn [Yuma County] was located 14 miles [22.5 km]<1> to the southwest of Hyder
- Dateland [Yuma County]
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Horn [Yuma County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Horn
- Horn [Yuma County] lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<1> to the southwest of Hyder
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Horn have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Horn
- Montezuma [Maricopa County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Montezuma
- Montezuma [Maricopa County] lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<1> to the northeast of Hyder
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Montezuma have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Montezuma
- Saddle [Maricopa County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Saddle
- Saddle [Maricopa County] lies 18 miles [29 km]<1> to the northeast of Hyder
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Saddle have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Saddle
- Sentinel [Maricopa County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sentinel
- Sentinel [Maricopa County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<1> to the southeast of Hyder
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Sentinel have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sentinel
How Far From Hyder to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Hyder to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers and using the location of where the historic<4> community of Hyder once stood, the straight-line distance beginning in Hyder and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Yuma, which is the Seat of Yuma County and lies 77 miles [123.9 km]<1> to the west southwest. If you could drive a straight line from Hyder to Yuma, with an average speed<5>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take less than two hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 5 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take most of three days.
- Phoenix, which is the State Capital of Arizona, lies 79 miles [127.1 km] to the east northeast (ENE). Driving would take less than two hours, a buggy would take most of three days and walking would take 5 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 2,055 miles [3,307.2 km] to the east northeast (ENE). Driving would take 4 days, a buggy would take 81 days and walking would take 117 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 7,508 miles [12,083 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 8,274 miles [13,315.7 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 6,219 miles [10,008.5 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community located in Arizona
About Yuma County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Yuma County: www.co.yuma.az.us/
The official website for State of Arizona: https://az.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Hyder) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Hyder. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Hyder
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Hyder. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 33.0164, Longitude: -113.3488 In this case, the coordinates for Hyder have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<2>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Hyder, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Hyder to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 332.10 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 331.034 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 322.869 degrees.||