Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Gray Mountain, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Gray Mountain and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Gray Mountain:
- 35.745298, -111.473756
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Gray Mountain
- Bird Watching ...
- We enjoy finding new spots for bird watching and we use the eBird website for local sighting reports and to help identify hotspots.
- The eBird website is organized on a county-by-county basis. We have selected Coconino County as the starting point when you click on the link below:
- eBird sighting report for Coconino County
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Gray Mountain ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Flagstaff [Coconino County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Flagstaff
- Flagstaff [Coconino County] lies 39 miles [62.8 km]<1> to the south of Gray Mountain
- Estimated population in 2019: 75,038 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Flagstaff
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Flagstaff<2>
- Hidden Springs Mission [Coconino County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hidden Springs Mission
- Hidden Springs Mission [Coconino County] lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<1> to the north of Gray Mountain
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Hidden Springs Mission have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hidden Springs Mission
- Sand Springs [Coconino County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sand Springs
- Sand Springs [Coconino County] lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<1> to the east of Gray Mountain
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Sand Springs have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sand Springs
- Tuba City [Coconino County]
- Willow Springs [Coconino County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Willow Springs
- Willow Springs [Coconino County] lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<1> to the north of Gray Mountain
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Willow Springs have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Willow Springs
How Far From Gray Mountain to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Gray Mountain to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Gray Mountain and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Flagstaff, which is the Seat of Coconino County and lies 39 miles [62.8 km]<1> to the south southwest. If you could walk a straight line from Gray Mountain to Flagstaff, with an average speed<4> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take over two days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take just about two full days.
- Phoenix, which is the State Capital of Arizona, lies 162 miles [260.7 km] to the south southwest (SSW). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take less than three hours, a buggy would take 7 days and walking would take 10 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,892 miles [3,044.9 km] to the east northeast (ENE). Driving would take three full days, a buggy would take 74 days and walking would take 108 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 7,292 miles [11,735.3 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 8,058 miles [12,968.1 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 6,004 miles [9,662.5 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community located in Arizona
About Coconino County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Gray Mountain. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Coconino County: www.co.coconino.az.us/
The official website for State of Arizona: https://az.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Gray Mountain) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Gray Mountain. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Gray Mountain
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Gray Mountain. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 35.7453, Longitude: -111.4738
|<2>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Gray Mountain to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 331.022 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 329.973 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 321.798 degrees.||