Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Galeyville, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Galeyville and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Galeyville:
- 31.950368, -109.218395
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Galeyville
- Bird Watching ...
- We enjoy finding new spots for bird watching and we use the eBird website for local sighting reports and to help identify hotspots.
- The eBird website is organized on a county-by-county basis. We have selected Cochise County as the starting point when you click on the link below:
- eBird sighting report for Cochise County
- Since Galeyville is near Hidalgo County, we have provided a link to its eBird sighting report:
- eBird sighting report for Hidalgo County
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Galeyville ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Camp Bowie [Cochise County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Camp Bowie
- Camp Bowie [Cochise County] was located 18 miles [29 km]<1> to the northwest of Galeyville
- Cotton City [Hidalgo County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cotton City
- Cotton City [Hidalgo County] lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<1> to the northeast of Galeyville
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Cotton City have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cotton City
- Hilltop [Cochise County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hilltop
- Hilltop [Cochise County] was located 4 miles [6.4 km]<1> to the northwest of Galeyville
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Hilltop have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Mouser Place [Hidalgo County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mouser Place
- Mouser Place [Hidalgo County] lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<1> to the southeast of Galeyville
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Mouser Place have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mouser Place
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Paradise [Cochise County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Paradise
- Paradise [Cochise County] lies less than 2 miles<1> to the south of Galeyville
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Paradise
- Portal [Cochise County]
- Rock Cabin [Hidalgo County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rock Cabin
- Rock Cabin [Hidalgo County] lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<1> to the southeast of Galeyville
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Rock Cabin have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rock Cabin
- Rodeo [Hidalgo County]
How Far From Galeyville to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Galeyville to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Galeyville and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Bisbee, which is the Seat of Cochise County and lies 54 miles [86.9 km]<1> to the southwest. If you could walk a straight line from Galeyville to Bisbee, with an average speed<4> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take most of three days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take over two days.
- Phoenix, which is the State Capital of Arizona, lies 195 miles [313.8 km] to the west northwest (WNW). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take a little over three hours, a buggy would take 8 days and walking would take 11 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,862 miles [2,996.6 km] to the east northeast (ENE). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 73 days and walking would take 106 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 7,454 miles [11,996.1 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 8,213 miles [13,217.5 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 6,128 miles [9,862.1 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community in Arizona
About Cochise County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Galeyville. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Cochise County: www.cochise.az.gov/
The official website for State of Arizona: https://az.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Galeyville) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Galeyville. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 31.9504, Longitude: -109.2184 In this case, the coordinates for Galeyville have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<2>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Galeyville to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 328.701 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 326.823 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 320.685 degrees.||