Welcome to Charleston ...
So far, we have found very little information about Charleston. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Charleston to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Charleston, please Contact Us.
Charleston would have been located within present day Cochise County<2>.
When the people of Charleston referred to themselves (known as a demonym), they are believed to have used Charlestonian<3>
While the community is gone, the present day location for Charleston is 3,980 feet [1,213 m] above sea level.<4> In other words, the elevation of Charleston is ¾ mile [or ~1¼ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: The area where Charleston was located is in the Mountain Standard Time Zone (MST) and does not observe daylight saving time
If Charleston still existed, it would have been in the (520) area code.
Communities Also Named Charleston ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 44 communities that are also named Charleston - they are located in Arkansas, California, Florida, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas (3), Kentucky (2), Maine, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri (2), Nebraska, Nevada (2), New Brunswick, New Jersey, New York (2), Newfoundland and Labrador, North Carolina, Nova Scotia, Ohio (4), Oklahoma, Ontario (3), Oregon, Pennsylvania (2), South Carolina, Tennessee (2), Texas (2), Utah, Washington and West Virginia.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Charleston.
Communities near Charleston ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Charleston.
- Sierra Vista [Cochise County]
- Bisbee [Cochise County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bisbee
- Bisbee [Cochise County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<5> to the southeast of Charleston
- Estimated population in 2019: 5,225 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bisbee
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Bisbee<6>
- Huachuca City [Cochise County]
- Tombstone [Cochise County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Tombstone
- Tombstone [Cochise County] lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<5> to the northeast of Charleston
- Estimated population in 2019: 1,303 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Tombstone
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Tombstone<6>
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Fairbank [Cochise County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fairbank
- Fairbank [Cochise County] was located 6 miles [9.7 km]<5> to the north of Charleston
- Coronado Village [Cochise County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Coronado Village
- Coronado Village [Cochise County] lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<5> to the southwest of Charleston
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Coronado Village have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Coronado Village
- De Anza Village [Cochise County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for De Anza Village
- De Anza Village [Cochise County] lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<5> to the southwest of Charleston
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for De Anza Village have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on De Anza Village
- Fort Huachuca [Cochise County]
- Signal Village [Cochise County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Signal Village
- Signal Village [Cochise County] lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<5> to the southwest of Charleston
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Signal Village have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Signal Village
- Hereford [Cochise County]
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Charleston. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Charleston.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Charleston. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Charleston.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Charleston. See our Newspapers Page for Charleston.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community located in Arizona
About Cochise County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Cochise County: www.cochise.az.gov/
The official website for State of Arizona: https://az.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Charleston, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Arizona's counties, including Cochise, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how the residents of Charleston refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a community's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of Charleston may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Charleston - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Charleston) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Charleston. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Charleston
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Charleston. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 31.6355, Longitude: -110.1717
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<7>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|