Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Fort Davis, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Fort Davis and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Fort Davis:
- 32.243201, -85.709673
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Fort Davis
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Fort Davis ...
We have found two communities that share the name Fort Davis.
Within Alabama, the name Fort Davis is unique.
Beyond Alabama, we know of another two communities that are located throughout in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Jeff Davis County
- This Fort Davis is located in Jeff Davis County and lies 1,076 miles [1,731.7 km]<1> to the west of the Fort Davis that is located in Macon County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Fort Davis
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Jeff Davis County community of Fort Davis.
- Prince George County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<2> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Virginia community of Fort Davis [Prince George County].
Curious and Interesting Names Near Fort Davis ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Cornerstone [Bullock County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cornerstone
- Cornerstone [Bullock County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<1> to the southwest of Fort Davis
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Cornerstone have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cornerstone
- Cotton Valley [Macon County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cotton Valley
- Cotton Valley [Macon County] lies 3 miles [4.8 km]<1> to the north of Fort Davis
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Cotton Valley have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cotton Valley
- Downs [Macon County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Downs
- Downs [Macon County] lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<1> to the west of Fort Davis
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Downs have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Downs
- Hardaway [Macon County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hardaway
- Hardaway [Macon County] lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<1> to the west of Fort Davis
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Hardaway have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hardaway
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Liverpool [Macon County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Liverpool
- Liverpool [Macon County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<1> to the northwest of Fort Davis
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Liverpool have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Liverpool
- Peachburg [Bullock County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Peachburg
- Peachburg [Bullock County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<1> to the southeast of Fort Davis
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Peachburg have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Peachburg
- Union Springs [Bullock County]
- Warriorstand [Macon County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Warriorstand
- Warriorstand [Macon County] lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<1> to the northeast of Fort Davis
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Warriorstand have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Warriorstand
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Fort Davis. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- George Washington Carver (Scientist, inventor)
- Scientist, inventor. He was born in Diamond (Missouri) on Tueday July 12, 1864 and died in Tuskegee (Alabama) on Tueday January 5, 1943 at the age of 78.
- Tuskegee is located 12 miles [19.3 km] to the north of Fort Davis.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: George Washington Carver<5>
- Eddie James Kendrick (Singer)
- Singer. He was born in Union Springs (Alabama) on Monday October 5, 1992 and died in Birmingham (Alabama) on Monday October 5, 1992 at the age of 0. He is buried at Elmwood Cemetery (Jefferson County, Alabama).
- Union Springs is located 7 miles [11.3 km] to the south of Fort Davis.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Eddie James Kendrick<5>
- Rosa Parks (Social activist)
- Social activist. She was born in Tuskegee (Alabama) on Tueday February 4, 1913 and died in Detroit (Michigan) on Monday October 24, 2005 at the age of 92. She is buried at Woodlawn Cemetery (Wayne County, Michigan).
- Tuskegee is located 12 miles [19.3 km] to the north of Fort Davis.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Rosa Parks<5>
How Far From Fort Davis to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Fort Davis to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Fort Davis and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Tuskegee, which is the Seat of Macon County and lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<1> to the north. If you could walk a straight line from Fort Davis to Tuskegee, with an average speed<6> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take five to six hours to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take nearly four hours.
- Montgomery, which is the State Capital of Alabama, lies 35 miles [56.3 km] to the west northwest (WNW). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take less than an hour, a buggy would take just about two full days and walking would take most of two days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 669 miles [1,076.7 km] to the northeast (NE). Driving would take just about two full days, a buggy would take 27 days and walking would take 38 days.
- The shortest distance<7> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,566 miles [10,567 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,266 miles [11,693.5 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,145 miles [8,280.1 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<10>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for Alabama
About Macon County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Fort Davis. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Alabama: https://www.alabama.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Fort Davis) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Fort Davis. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Fort Davis
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Fort Davis. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 32.2432, Longitude: -85.7097 In this case, the coordinates for Fort Davis have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<2>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Rock Creek to see Pete ... Rock Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Fort Davis could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong county. Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<6>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<7>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Fort Davis to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 312.947 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 308.268 degrees.|
|<10>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 310.139 degrees.||