Our Genealogy Helper for Pincher Creek ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool which helps us with planning our trips.
- We're trying to shape our Gazetteer as a tool to help us understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
- On our trips, we try to visit those places where our ancestors left their footprints.
By learning about Pincher Creek (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this our Genealogical Helper for Pincher Creek. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Name Variations for Pincher Creek ...
When searching records, keep in mind that names and their spelling can change over time. Our sources include documents like maps, railroad schedules, Travel, Express and Shipping Guides. Many of these documents date from the 1800's and it's common to find spelling differences.
Although we can't give a definitive list, hopefully the following will give you a feel for the variations that might have occurred.
For example, a typical abbreviation for Pincher Creek: Pincher Crk. (or less commonly used: Pincher Ck. or Pincher Cr.)
If you have information about these names (such as the reason for the change, date of change, the origin of the name), please Contact Us.
A Few Details for Pincher Creek ...
While it's still very early in our research, we have found that:
- The community of Pincher Creek was established in 1884.
- It was incorporated in 1906.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we like to start with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These helpful websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Pincher Creek:
- Websites specific to Alberta
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Alberta
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Alberta
Cemeteries Near Pincher Creek ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Pincher Creek.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Pincher Creek covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Pincher Creek Pioneer Cemetery
- Pincher Creek Fairview Cemetery
- Fairview Cemetery
- Pincher Creek Colony
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Pincher Creek Colony
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Pincher Creek Colony. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pincher Creek Colony
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2660492<1>
- Trinity Lutheran Cemetery
- Brocket Colony Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Brocket Colony Cemetery
- Brocket Colony Cemetery lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<3> to the east of Pincher Creek.
- Brocket Colony Cemetery has also been known as:
- Brocket Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Brocket Colony Cemetery
- Cowley Cemetery
- United Doukhobors of Alberta Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the United Doukhobors of Alberta Cemetery
- United Doukhobors of Alberta Cemetery lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<3> to the northwest of Pincher Creek.
- United Doukhobors of Alberta Cemetery has also been known as:
- Doukhobor Cemetery
- United Doukhobors Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on United Doukhobors of Alberta Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2526341<1>
- Fishburn Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Fishburn Cemetery
- Fishburn Cemetery lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<3> to the southeast of Pincher Creek.
- Fishburn Cemetery has also been known as:
- Fishburn United Church Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Fishburn Cemetery
- St. Henry Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. Henry Cemetery
- St. Henry Cemetery lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<3> to the southeast of Pincher Creek.
- St. Henry Cemetery has also been known as:
- St. Henry RC Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. Henry Cemetery
- Springridge Mennonite Cemetery
- Livingstone Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Livingstone Cemetery
- Livingstone Cemetery lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<3> to the northwest of Pincher Creek.
- Livingstone Cemetery has also been known as:
- St. George's Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Livingstone Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2453569<1>
- Continue List (27 more) ...
- Hartley Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Hartley Cemetery
- Hartley Cemetery lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<3> to the southeast of Pincher Creek.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hartley Cemetery
- Hill Spring Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Hill Spring Cemetery
- Hill Spring Cemetery lies 18 miles [29 km]<3> to the southeast of Pincher Creek.
- Hill Spring Cemetery has also been known as:
- Hillspring Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hill Spring Cemetery
- Passburg Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Pincher Creek. See our List of 1890's Communities around Pincher Creek.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Recent Changes to RoadsideThoughts ...
Mentions & References for Pincher Creek
Visit our Community Index for Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Pincher Creek: www.pinchercreek.ca/
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<2>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Pincher Creek) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Pincher Creek. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Pincher CreekOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Pincher Creek. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 49.4879, Longitude: -113.9500 |