Curious and Interesting Names Near Pelican Portage ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Calling Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Calling Lake
- Calling Lake lies 44 miles [70.8 km]<1> to the southwest of Pelican Portage
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Calling Lake
- Sandy Lake
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Sandy Lake came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sandy Lake
- Sandy Lake lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<1> to the west of Pelican Portage
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sandy Lake
- Wandering River
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Wandering River came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Wandering River
- Wandering River lies 41 miles [66 km]<1> to the south of Pelican Portage
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Wandering River
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Wandering River<3>
How Far From Pelican Portage to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Pelican Portage to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Pelican Portage and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 159 miles [255.9 km]<1> to the south southwest (SSW). If you could drive a straight line from Pelican Portage to Edmonton, with an average speed<4>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take less than three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 9 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 7 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,743 miles [2,805.1 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 68 days and walking would take 99 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,092 miles [9,804.1 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,857 miles [11,035.3 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 4,959 miles [7,980.7 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Communities in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Pelican Portage. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Pelican Portage) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Pelican Portage. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 55.7997, Longitude: -112.6389
|<2>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Pelican Portage to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 333.11 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 334.144 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 320.137 degrees.||