How Far From Peace Point to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Peace Point to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance<1> beginning in Peace Point and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 387 miles [622.8 km]<1> to the south (S). If you could drive a straight line from Peace Point to Edmonton, with an average speed<2>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take most of a day to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 22 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 16 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,784 miles [2,871.1 km] to the east southeast (ESE). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 70 days and walking would take 102 days.
- The shortest distance<3> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 5,883 miles [9,467.8 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<4>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,647 miles [10,697.3 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<5>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 4,779 miles [7,691.1 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<6>
Other Roadside Stops ...
The Communities of Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Peace Point) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Peace Point. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Peace Point
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Peace Point. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 59.1317, Longitude: -112.4351
|<2>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<3>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Peace Point to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<4>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 332.857 degrees.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 334.158 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 319.232 degrees.||