Communities Also Named Obed ...
We have found three communities that share the name Obed.
Within Alberta, the name Obed is unique.
Beyond Alberta, we know of another three communities that are located throughout in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Tallapoosa County
- This Obed is located in Tallapoosa County and lies 2,054 miles [3,305.6 km]<1> to the east southeast.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Obed
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Tallapoosa County community of Obed.
- Shelby County
- This Obed is located in Shelby County and lies 1,637 miles [2,634.5 km]<1> to the east southeast.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Obed
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Shelby County community of Obed.
- South Carolina
- Spartanburg County
- This community is historic<2> and we have very little information. For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the South Carolina community of Obed [Spartanburg County].
Curious and Interesting Names Near Obed ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bickerdike
- Bickerdike lies 23 miles [37 km]<1> to the east of Obed.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Bickerdike came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bickerdike
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Entrance
- Entrance lies 23 miles [37 km]<1> to the southwest of Obed.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Entrance came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Entrance
- Medicine Lodge
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Medicine Lodge
- Medicine Lodge lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<1> to the east of Obed.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Medicine Lodge came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Medicine Lodge
How Far From Obed to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Obed to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Obed and extending to:
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 152 miles [244.6 km]<1> to the east (E). If you could drive a straight line from Obed to Edmonton, with an average speed<4>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take less than three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 9 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 6 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,914 miles [3,080.3 km] to the east (E). Driving would take three full days, a buggy would take 75 days and walking would take 109 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,310 miles [10,155 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,073 miles [11,382.9 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,194 miles [8,358.9 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Obed. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Obed) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Obed. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 53.5500, Longitude: -117.2167 |
|<2>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Obed, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<3>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Obed to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 336.842 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 338.171 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 323.667 degrees.||