Our Genealogy Helper for Monarch ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Monarch (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Monarch. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we begin with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Monarch:
- Websites specific to Alberta
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Alberta
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Alberta
Cemeteries Near Monarch ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Monarch.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Monarch covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Orton Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Orton Cemetery
- Orton Cemetery lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<1> to the southwest of Monarch.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Orton Cemetery
- Archmount Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Archmount Cemetery
- The Archmount Cemetery is a large cemetery that is located outside and to the west of Lethbridge.Stated another way, Archmount Cemetery lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<1> to the southeast of Monarch.
- Archmount Cemetery has also been known as:
- Archmount Memorial Garden
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Archmount Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2146605<2>
- Union Cemetery
- Holy Cross Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Holy Cross Cemetery
- Holy Cross Cemetery lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<1> to the southwest of Monarch.
- Holy Cross Cemetery has also been known as:
- Ft. MacLeod Holy Cross Cemetery
- Holy Cross Catholic Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Holy Cross Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2427812<2>
- St. Patrick Cemetery
- Royal View Memorial Cemetery
- Continue List ...
- Albion Ridge Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Albion Ridge Cemetery
- The Albion Ridge Cemetery is located 8 miles [12.9 km]<1> to the southeast of Picture Butte.To be more precise, Albion Ridge Cemetery lies 14 miles [22.5 km] to the northeast of Monarch.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Albion Ridge Cemetery
- Mountain View Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Mountain View Cemetery
- The Mountain View Cemetery is a very large cemetery that is located outside and to the southwest of Lethbridge.More accurately, Mountain View Cemetery lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<1> to the southeast of Monarch.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mountain View Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2146604<2>
- Granum Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Granum Cemetery
- The Granum Cemetery is a large cemetery that is located outside and to the northwest of Granum.To be precise, Granum Cemetery lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<1> to the west of Monarch.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Granum Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2225492<2>
- Huntsville Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Huntsville Cemetery
- Huntsville Cemetery lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<1> to the east of Monarch.
- Huntsville Cemetery has also been known as:
- Iron Springs Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Huntsville Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2424500<2>
- Five Mile Peace Lutheran Cemetery
- Bowville Cemetery
- Alston Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Alston Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Alston Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
- Alston Cemetery lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<1> to the north of Monarch.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Alston Cemetery
- Claresholm Cemetery
- Magrath Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Monarch. See our List of 1890's Communities around Monarch.
Miscellaneous References and Mentions for Monarch ...
While our initial data about Monarch came from various goverment sources, we have found mention of Monarch in old books and maps. When we do, we'll find a fact here or a snippet there. We've created the following list to keep track of the documents we found useful in adding to our knowledge about Monarch.
We hope that the following list of documents will be of interest to you.
Shell Oil Road Map for Southern Alberta (1951)
Published by Shell Oil Company
for Monarch. See our Misc Page for Monarch for more information.
Other Roadside Stops ...
The Communities of Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Monarch. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Monarch) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Monarch. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from MonarchOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Monarch. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 49.8000, Longitude: -113.1167 |
|<2>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|