Curious and Interesting Names Near Mildred Lake ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
In the vicinity of Mildred Lake, Waterways is located 24 miles [38.6 km]<1> to the Southeast
How Far From Mildred Lake to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Mildred Lake to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Mildred Lake and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 251 miles [403.9 km]<1> to the south southwest (SSW). If you could drive a straight line from Mildred Lake to Edmonton, with an average speed<2>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take nearly four hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 15 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 10 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,720 miles [2,768.1 km] to the east southeast (ESE). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 68 days and walking would take 98 days.
- The shortest distance<3> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 5,999 miles [9,654.5 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<4>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,765 miles [10,887.2 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<5>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 4,870 miles [7,837.5 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<6>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Visit our Community Index for Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Mildred Lake) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Mildred Lake. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 57.0211, Longitude: -111.6257
|<2>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<3>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Mildred Lake to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<4>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 332.263 degrees.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 333.306 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 319.169 degrees.||