Communities Also Named Marina ...
We have found three communities that share the name Marina.
Within Alberta, the name Marina is unique.
Beyond Alberta, we know of another three communities that are located throughout in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Monterey County
- This Marina is located in Monterey County and lies 1,373 miles [2,209.6 km]<1> to the south.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Marina
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Monterey County community of Marina.
- San Francisco County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<2> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the California community of Marina [San Francisco County].
- Marina #
- This community is historic<2> and we have little information. For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for Marina.
Curious and Interesting Names Near Marina ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Eureka River
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Eureka River came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Eureka River
- Eureka River lies 18 miles [29 km]<1> to the east of Marina
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Eureka River
- Poplar Ridge
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Poplar Ridge came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Poplar Ridge
- Poplar Ridge lies 40 miles [64.4 km]<1> to the south of Marina
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Poplar Ridge
- Silver Valley
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Silver Valley came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Silver Valley
- Silver Valley lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<1> to the south of Marina
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Silver Valley
How Far From Marina to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Marina to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Marina and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 303 miles [487.6 km]<1> to the southeast (SE). If you could drive a straight line from Marina to Edmonton, with an average speed<4>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take five to six hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 18 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 12 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,999 miles [3,217.1 km] to the east (E). Driving would take three full days, a buggy would take 78 days and walking would take 114 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,151 miles [9,899.1 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,911 miles [11,122.2 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,075 miles [8,167.4 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Communities in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Marina. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Marina) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Marina. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 56.5000, Longitude: -119.2000
|<2>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Mile's to see Pete ... Mile's is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Marina could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<3>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Marina to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 338.476 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 340.218 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 324.551 degrees.||