Curious and Interesting Names Near Mariana Lake ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
In the vicinity of Mariana Lake, Pelican Portage is located 26 miles [41.8 km]<1> to the Southwest
How Far From Mariana Lake to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Mariana Lake to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Mariana Lake and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 176 miles [283.2 km]<1> to the south southwest (SSW). If you could drive a straight line from Mariana Lake to Edmonton, with an average speed<2>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take about three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 10 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 7 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,721 miles [2,769.7 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 68 days and walking would take 98 days.
- The shortest distance<3> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,071 miles [9,770.3 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<4>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,837 miles [11,003.1 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<5>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 4,936 miles [7,943.7 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<6>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Mariana Lake. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Mariana Lake) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Mariana Lake. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Mariana Lake
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Mariana Lake. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 55.9542, Longitude: -112.0181
|<2>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<3>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Mariana Lake to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<4>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 332.604 degrees.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 333.591 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 319.678 degrees.||