Our Genealogy Helper for Luzan ...
Although we found mention of Luzan during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Luzan was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Luzan (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Luzan. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we like to start with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These helpful websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Luzan:
- Websites specific to Alberta
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Alberta
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Alberta
Cemeteries Near Luzan ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Luzan.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Luzan covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- St. Michael the Archangel Russo Greek Orthodox Church Cemetery
- St. John Ukrainian Orthodox Church Cemetery
- St. Pokrova Greek Orthodox Church Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. Pokrova Greek Orthodox Church Cemetery
- St. Pokrova Greek Orthodox Church Cemetery lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<3> to the northeast of Luzan.
- St. Pokrova Greek Orthodox Church Cemetery has also been known as:
- Borowich Ukrainian Orthodox Cemetery
- St. Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cemetery
- St. Pokrova Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. Pokrova Greek Orthodox Church Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2405935<2>
- St. Casirmir Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. Casirmir Cemetery
- St. Casirmir Cemetery lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<3> to the southwest of Luzan.
- St. Casirmir Cemetery has also been known as:
- St. Casimir RC Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. Casirmir Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2583028<2>
- Mundare Public Cemetery
- St. Mary's Ukrainian Orthodox Church Cemetery
- Continue List ...
- Wahstao Cemetery
- St. Paraskevia Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. Paraskevia Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Cemetery
- St. Paraskevia Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Cemetery lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<3> to the northeast of Luzan.
- St. Paraskevia Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Cemetery has also been known as:
- Paraskevia Cemetery
- St. Paraskovia Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Cemetery
- St. Paroskovia Ukrainian Greek Catholic Cemetery
- St. Paroskovia Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. Paraskevia Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Cemetery
- St. John The Baptist Ukrainian Catholic Church
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. John The Baptist Ukrainian Catholic Church
- St. John The Baptist Ukrainian Catholic Church lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<3> to the west of Luzan.
- St. John The Baptist Ukrainian Catholic Church has also been known as:
- St. John Baptist Ukrainian Greek Catholic Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. John The Baptist Ukrainian Catholic Church
- Two Hills Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Two Hills Cemetery
- Two Hills Cemetery lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<3> to the east of Luzan.
- Two Hills Cemetery has also been known as:
- Two Hills Community Cemetery
- Two Hills Public Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Two Hills Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2284767<2>
- Lamont Town Cemetery
- Holy Trinity Russian Greek Orthodox Cemetery
- Lanuke Ukrainian Presbyterian Cemetery
- St. Laurent RC Cemetery
- Holy Cross Ukrainian Greek Catholic Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Luzan. See our List of 1890's Communities around Luzan.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Communities in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went south past Luzan and then turned west". While Luzan could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Luzan as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Bird Creek to see Pete ... Bird Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Luzan could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
Since confusion between is common, we searched and weren't able to find another Alberta community named Luzan.
|<2>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Luzan) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Luzan. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 53.8023, Longitude: -112.2576 |