Our Genealogy Helper for Looma ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool which helps us with planning our trips.
- We're trying to shape our Gazetteer as a tool to help us understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
- On our trips, we try to visit those places where our ancestors left their footprints.
By learning about Looma (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this our Genealogical Helper for Looma. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we begin with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These professional and volunteer websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Looma:
- Websites specific to Alberta
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Alberta
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- At this time (Dec 2022), GenDisasters website is currently offline due to a hacker attack. Hopefully they will be back soon.
- Stories from Alberta
Cemeteries Near Looma ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Looma.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Looma covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- St. Vital RC Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. Vital RC Cemetery
- St. Vital RC Cemetery lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<1> to the west of Looma.
- St. Vital RC Cemetery has also been known as:
- St. Vital Catholic Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. Vital RC Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FG ID #2382395<2>
- Zion Evangelical Church Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Zion Evangelical Church Cemetery
- Zion Evangelical Church Cemetery lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<1> to the south of Looma.
- Zion Evangelical Church Cemetery has also been known as:
- Zion Evangelical Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Zion Evangelical Church Cemetery
- New Sarepta Moravian Cemetery
- Colchester Cemetery
- South Haven Municipal Cemetery
- Our Lady of Peace Cemetery
- Trinity Lutheran Cemetery
- Ellerslie St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Cemetery
- Glenwood Memorial Gardens
- Our Savior Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Our Savior Cemetery
- Our Savior Cemetery lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<1> to the southeast of Looma.
- Our Savior Cemetery has also been known as:
- Our Savior Lutheran Cemetery
- St. Stephens Lutheran Church Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Our Savior Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FG ID #2373300<2>
- Leduc Municipal Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Leduc Municipal Cemetery
- Leduc Municipal Cemetery lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<1> to the southwest of Looma.
- Leduc Municipal Cemetery has also been known as:
- Leduc Cemetery
- Leduc Public Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Leduc Municipal Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FG ID #2184321<2>
- Fredericksheim Baptist Cemetery
- Continue List (78 more) ...
- Zion Lutheran Cemetery
- Heimtal Moravian Cemetery
- Rosehill Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Looma. See our List of 1890's Communities around Looma.
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Looma. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Looma) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Looma. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from LoomaOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Looma. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 53.3500, Longitude: -113.2500 |
|<2>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|