Our Genealogy Helper for Lomond ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool which helps us with planning our trips.
- We're trying to shape our Gazetteer as a tool to help us understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
- On our trips, we try to visit those places where our ancestors left their footprints.
By learning about Lomond (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this our Genealogical Helper for Lomond. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
A Few Details for Lomond ...
While it's still very early in our research, we have found that:
- The community of Lomond was settled in 1914.
- It was incorporated as a village in 1916.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we like to start with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These professional and volunteer websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Lomond:
- Websites specific to Alberta
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Alberta
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- At this time (Dec 2022), GenDisasters website is currently offline due to a hacker attack. Hopefully they will be back soon.
- Stories from Alberta
Cemeteries Near Lomond ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Lomond.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Lomond covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Lomond Cemetery
- Taylor Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Taylor Cemetery
- Taylor Cemetery lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<2> to the northeast of Lomond.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Taylor Cemetery
- Bow City Cemetery
- Enchant Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Enchant Cemetery
- Enchant Cemetery lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<2> to the southeast of Lomond.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Enchant Cemetery
- Reid Hill Cemetery
- Bowville Cemetery
- Champion Cemetery
- Scandia Cemetery
- Retlaw Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Retlaw Cemetery
- Retlaw Cemetery lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<2> to the southeast of Lomond.
- Retlaw Cemetery has also been known as:
- Retlaw Municipal Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Retlaw Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2447796<1>
- Vulcan Cemetery
- Alston Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Alston Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Alston Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
- Alston Cemetery lies 29 miles [46.7 km]<2> to the southwest of Lomond.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Alston Cemetery
- Albion Ridge Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Albion Ridge Cemetery
- The Albion Ridge Cemetery is located 8 miles [12.9 km]<2> to the southeast of Picture Butte.More accurately, Albion Ridge Cemetery lies 29 miles [46.7 km] to the southwest of Lomond.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Albion Ridge Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Lomond. See our List of 1890's Communities around Lomond.
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Lomond. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Lomond) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Lomond. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from LomondOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Lomond. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 50.3500, Longitude: -112.6333 |
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|