Below is our collection of tidbits, odds 'n ends for Lessard.
This page contains two sections:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Lessard ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
Beaver Crossing - 17 miles [27.4 km]<1> to the East of Lessard [Map]
Beaver River - 15 miles [24.1 km] to the East [Map]
Beaverdam - 20 miles [32.2 km] to the Southeast [Map]
Big Meadow - 2 miles [3.2 km] to the South [Map]
Gurneyville - 20 miles [32.2 km] to the South [Map]
Happy Hollow - 5 miles [8 km] to the Northeast [Map]
Hoselaw - 20 miles [32.2 km] to the Southwest [Map]
Iron River - 11 miles [17.7 km] to the West [Map]
Medley - 14 miles [22.5 km] to the East [Map]
Pelican Narrows - 15 miles [24.1 km] to the Southwest [Map]
How Far From Lessard to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Lessard to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Lessard and extending to:
- Edmonton [Map], which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 131 miles [210.8 km] to the West Southwest (WSW). If you could drive a straight line from Lessard to Edmonton, with an average speed<2>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take less than three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 8 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 6 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON [Map]) is 1,651 miles [2,657 km] to the East (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 65 days and walking would take 94 days.
- The shortest distance<3> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock [Map]) is 6,139 miles [9,879.8 km] and it lies to the North Northeast (NNE).<4>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba [Map]) is 6,906 miles [11,114.1 km] and it lies to the North Northeast (NNE).<5>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican [Map]) is 4,980 miles [8,014.5 km] and it lies to the Northeast (NE).<6>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community located in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Lessard. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Lessard) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Lessard. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 54.4289, Longitude: -110.6353 [Map].
|<2>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<3>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Lessard to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<4>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 331.508 degrees.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 332.221 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 319.066 degrees.|