Curious and Interesting Names Near Lake Saskatoon ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Bear Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bear Lake
- Bear Lake lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<1> to the northeast of Lake Saskatoon
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bear Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Beaverlodge
- Beaverlodge lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<1> to the west of Lake Saskatoon
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Beaverlodge came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Beaverlodge
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Beaverlodge<3>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Goodfare
- Goodfare lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<1> to the west of Lake Saskatoon
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Goodfare came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Goodfare
- Spirit River
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Spirit River
- Spirit River lies 39 miles [62.8 km]<1> to the north of Lake Saskatoon
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Spirit River
How Far From Lake Saskatoon to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Lake Saskatoon to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Lake Saskatoon and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 253 miles [407.2 km]<1> to the east southeast (ESE). If you could drive a straight line from Lake Saskatoon to Edmonton, with an average speed<4>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take four to five hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 15 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 10 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,992 miles [3,205.8 km] to the east (E). Driving would take three full days, a buggy would take 78 days and walking would take 114 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,231 miles [10,027.8 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,992 miles [11,252.5 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,145 miles [8,280.1 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Cities, Towns and Villages of Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Lake Saskatoon) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Lake Saskatoon. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 55.2333, Longitude: -119.1167 |
|<2>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Lake Saskatoon to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 338.41 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 340.059 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 324.703 degrees.||