Curious and Interesting Names Near Kitscoty ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Blackfoot
- Blackfoot lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<1> to the southeast of Kitscoty
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Blackfoot
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Greenstreet
- Greenstreet lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<1> to the northeast of Kitscoty
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Greenstreet
- Lone Rock
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lone Rock came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lone Rock
- Lone Rock lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<1> to the southeast of Kitscoty
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lone Rock
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Onion Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Onion Lake
- Onion Lake lies 29 miles [46.7 km]<1> to the northeast of Kitscoty
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Onion Lake
- Paradise Valley
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Paradise Valley came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Paradise Valley
- Paradise Valley lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<1> to the south of Kitscoty
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Paradise Valley
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Kitscoty. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- William Ernest 'Ernie' Kenny (Professional hockey)
How Far From Kitscoty to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a village such as Kitscoty to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Kitscoty and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 131 miles [210.8 km]<1> to the west (W). If you could drive a straight line from Kitscoty to Edmonton, with an average speed<5>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take less than three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 8 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 6 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,630 miles [2,623.2 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 64 days and walking would take 93 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,199 miles [9,976.3 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,967 miles [11,212.3 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,029 miles [8,093.4 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Kitscoty. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Kitscoty) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Kitscoty. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Kitscoty
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Kitscoty. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 53.3333, Longitude: -110.3333
|<2>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<3>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<4>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Kitscoty to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 331.271 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 331.853 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 319.091 degrees.||