Curious and Interesting Names Near Grouard ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Driftpile
- Driftpile lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<1> to the southeast of Grouard
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Driftpile came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Driftpile
- Gift Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Gift Lake
- Gift Lake lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<1> to the northeast of Grouard
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Gift Lake came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Gift Lake
- Heart River
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Heart River
- Heart River lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<1> to the west of Grouard
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Heart River came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Heart River
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Kathleen
- Kathleen lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<1> to the west of Grouard
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Kathleen
- Salt Prairie
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Salt Prairie
- Salt Prairie lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<1> to the northeast of Grouard
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Salt Prairie came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Salt Prairie
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Triangle
- Triangle lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<1> to the west of Grouard
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Triangle
How Far From Grouard to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Grouard to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Grouard and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 172 miles [276.8 km]<1> to the southeast (SE). If you could drive a straight line from Grouard to Edmonton, with an average speed<3>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take about three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 10 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 7 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,877 miles [3,020.7 km] to the east (E). Driving would take three full days, a buggy would take 74 days and walking would take 107 days.
- The shortest distance<4> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,168 miles [9,926.4 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<5>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,931 miles [11,154.4 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,060 miles [8,143.3 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<7>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Grouard. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Grouard) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Grouard. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from GrouardOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Grouard. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 55.5238, Longitude: -116.1608 |
|<2>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<3>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<4>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Grouard to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 335.983 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 337.348 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 322.611 degrees.||