Curious and Interesting Names Near Grande Prairie ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Bear Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bear Lake
- Bear Lake lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<1> to the northwest of Grande Prairie
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bear Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Beaverlodge
- Beaverlodge lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<1> to the west of Grande Prairie
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Beaverlodge came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Beaverlodge
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Beaverlodge<3>
- Teepee Creek
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Teepee Creek
- Teepee Creek lies 29 miles [46.7 km]<1> to the northeast of Grande Prairie
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Teepee Creek came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Teepee Creek
How Far From Grande Prairie to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a city such as Grande Prairie to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Grande Prairie and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 240 miles [386.2 km]<1> to the east southeast (ESE). If you could drive a straight line from Grande Prairie to Edmonton, with an average speed<4>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take nearly four hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 14 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 10 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,979 miles [3,184.9 km] to the east (E). Driving would take three full days, a buggy would take 78 days and walking would take 113 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,231 miles [10,027.8 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,992 miles [11,252.5 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,141 miles [8,273.6 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Grande Prairie: www.cityofgp.com/
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Grande Prairie) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Grande Prairie. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Grande PrairieOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Grande Prairie. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 55.1707, Longitude: -118.7916 |
|<2>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Grande Prairie to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 338.142 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 339.753 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 324.488 degrees.||