Curious and Interesting Names Near Grainger ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Acme
- Acme lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<1> to the west of Grainger
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Acme
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Carbon
- Carbon lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<1> to the east of Grainger
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Carbon came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Carbon
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Gayford
- Gayford lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<1> to the south of Grainger
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Gayford came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Gayford
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rockyford
- Rockyford lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<1> to the southeast of Grainger
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Rockyford came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rockyford
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rosebud
- Rosebud lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<1> to the southeast of Grainger
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Rosebud came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rosebud
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Rosebud<3>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sunnyslope
- Sunnyslope lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<1> to the northwest of Grainger
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sunnyslope
- Three Hills
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Three Hills
- Three Hills lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<1> to the north of Grainger
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Three Hills came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Three Hills
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Three Hills<3>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Twining
- Twining lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<1> to the north of Grainger
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Twining. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Twining
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Grainger. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- Glen Gorbous (Major League Baseball)
- Major League Baseball. He was born in Drumheller (Alberta) on Tueday July 8, 1930 and died in Calgary (Alberta) on Tueday June 12, 1990 at the age of 59.
- Drumheller is located 26 miles [41.8 km] to the east of Grainger.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Glen Gorbous<5>
How Far From Grainger to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Grainger to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Grainger and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 141 miles [226.9 km]<1> to the north (N). If you could drive a straight line from Grainger to Edmonton, with an average speed<6>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take less than three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 8 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 6 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,752 miles [2,819.6 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 69 days and walking would take 100 days.
- The shortest distance<7> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,370 miles [10,251.5 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,137 miles [11,485.9 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<9>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,207 miles [8,379.9 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<10>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community located in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Grainger. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Grainger) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Grainger. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 51.5000, Longitude: -113.3333 |
|<2>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<5>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<6>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<7>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Grainger to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 333.663 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 334.404 degrees.|
|<10>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 321.402 degrees.||