Curious and Interesting Names Near Golden Days ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Crystal Springs
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Crystal Springs came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Crystal Springs
- Crystal Springs lies 5 miles [8 km]<2> to the south of Golden Days
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Crystal Springs
- Fern Creek
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fern Creek
- Fern Creek lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<2> to the west of Golden Days
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Fern Creek
- Fisher Home
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Fisher Home came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fisher Home
- Fisher Home lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<2> to the west of Golden Days
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Fisher Home
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Grandview
- Grandview lies 3 miles [4.8 km]<2> to the south of Golden Days
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Grandview
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Mission Beach
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Mission Beach came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mission Beach
- Mission Beach lies 3 miles [4.8 km]<2> to the northwest of Golden Days
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mission Beach
- Poplar Bay
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Poplar Bay
- Poplar Bay lies 3 miles [4.8 km]<2> to the southwest of Golden Days
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Poplar Bay
- Silver Beach
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Silver Beach
- Silver Beach lies 2 miles [3.2 km]<2> to the east of Golden Days
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Silver Beach
- Sundance Beach
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Sundance Beach came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sundance Beach
- Sundance Beach lies 3 miles [4.8 km]<2> to the northwest of Golden Days
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sundance Beach
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Golden Days. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- August Solberg 'Gus' Marker (Professional hockey)
- Professional hockey. He was born in Wetaskiwin (Alberta) on Tueday August 1, 1905 and died in Kingston (Ontario) on Tueday October 7, 1997 at the age of 92. He is buried at Cataraqui Cemetery (Frontenac County, Ontario).
- Wetaskiwin is located 28 miles [45.1 km] to the east of Golden Days.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: August Solberg 'Gus' Marker<3>
How Far From Golden Days to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a village such as Golden Days to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Golden Days and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 40 miles [64.4 km]<2> to the north northeast (NNE). If you could walk a straight line from Golden Days to Edmonton, with an average speed<4> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take over two days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take just about two full days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,783 miles [2,869.5 km] to the east (E). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take most of three days, a buggy would take 70 days and walking would take 102 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,287 miles [10,117.9 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,053 miles [11,350.7 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,142 miles [8,275.2 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Alberta Community
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Golden Days. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Golden Days) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Golden Days. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Golden Days
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Golden Days. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 53.0500, Longitude: -114.0500
|<3>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Golden Days to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 334.261 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 335.21 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 321.617 degrees.||