Curious and Interesting Names Near Fort McMurray ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Mildred Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mildred Lake
- Mildred Lake lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<1> to the northwest of Fort McMurray
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Mildred Lake came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mildred Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Waterways
- Waterways lies less than 2 miles<1> to the southeast of Fort McMurray
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Waterways
How Far From Fort McMurray to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Fort McMurray to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Fort McMurray and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 234 miles [376.6 km]<1> to the south southwest (SSW). If you could drive a straight line from Fort McMurray to Edmonton, with an average speed<3>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take nearly four hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 14 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 10 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,706 miles [2,745.5 km] to the east southeast (ESE). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 67 days and walking would take 97 days.
- The shortest distance<4> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,013 miles [9,677 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<5>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,779 miles [10,909.7 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 4,879 miles [7,852 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<7>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community located in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Fort McMurray: www.woodbuffalo.ab.ca/
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Fort McMurray) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Fort McMurray. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Fort McMurray
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Fort McMurray. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 56.7214, Longitude: -111.3655
|<2>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<3>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<4>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Fort McMurray to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 332.059 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 333.051 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 319.058 degrees.||