Curious and Interesting Names Near Fort MacKay ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
In the vicinity of Fort MacKay, Mildred Lake is located 11 miles [17.7 km]<1> to the South
How Far From Fort MacKay to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Fort MacKay to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Fort MacKay and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 261 miles [420 km]<1> to the south southwest (SSW). If you could drive a straight line from Fort MacKay to Edmonton, with an average speed<2>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take four to five hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 15 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 11 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,723 miles [2,772.9 km] to the east southeast (ESE). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 68 days and walking would take 98 days.
- The shortest distance<3> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 5,989 miles [9,638.4 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<4>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,755 miles [10,871.1 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<5>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 4,862 miles [7,824.6 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<6>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Recent Changes to RoadsideThoughts ...
Search for a Alberta Community
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Fort MacKay. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Fort MacKay) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Fort MacKay. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Fort MacKayOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Fort MacKay. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 57.1846, Longitude: -111.6345 |
|<2>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<3>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Fort MacKay to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<4>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 332.266 degrees.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 333.324 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 319.137 degrees.||