Curious and Interesting Names Near Driftpile ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Salt Prairie (22 miles [35.4 km] to the northwest)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Salt Prairie
- Salt Prairie lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<1> to the northwest of Driftpile
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Salt Prairie came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Salt Prairie
- Widewater (30 miles [48.3 km] to the east)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Widewater
- Widewater lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<1> to the east of Driftpile
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Widewater came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Widewater
How Far From Driftpile to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Driftpile to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Driftpile and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 154 miles [247.8 km]<1> to the southeast (SE). If you could drive a straight line from Driftpile to Edmonton, with an average speed<3>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take less than three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 9 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 6 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,861 miles [2,995 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 73 days and walking would take 106 days.
- The shortest distance<4> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,173 miles [9,934.5 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<5>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,936 miles [11,162.4 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,060 miles [8,143.3 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<7>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Recent Changes to RoadsideThoughts ...
Mentions & References for Driftpile
Find a Community within Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Driftpile. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Driftpile) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Driftpile. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from DriftpileOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Driftpile. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 55.3500, Longitude: -115.7667 |
|<2>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<3>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<4>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Driftpile to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 335.661 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 336.973 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 322.372 degrees.||