Our Genealogy Helper for Deerland ...
Although we found mention of Deerland during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Deerland was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool which helps us with planning our trips.
- We're trying to shape our Gazetteer as a tool to help us understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
- On our trips, we try to visit those places where our ancestors left their footprints.
By learning about Deerland (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this our Genealogical Helper for Deerland. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we like to start with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These helpful websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Deerland:
- Websites specific to Alberta
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Alberta
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Alberta
Cemeteries Near Deerland ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Deerland.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Deerland covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Holy Cross Ukrainian Greek Catholic Cemetery
- St. Demetrius Ukrainian Orthodox Cemetery
- Nativity Blessed Virgin Mary Cemetery
- Lamont Town Cemetery
- St. John The Baptist Ukrainian Catholic Church
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. John The Baptist Ukrainian Catholic Church
- St. John The Baptist Ukrainian Catholic Church lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<3> to the south of Deerland.
- St. John The Baptist Ukrainian Catholic Church has also been known as:
- St. John Baptist Ukrainian Greek Catholic Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. John The Baptist Ukrainian Catholic Church
- Redwater Cemetery
- Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Cemetery
- The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Cemetery is located less than 2 miles<3> to the north of Radway.More precisely, Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Cemetery lies 10 miles [16.1 km] to the north of Deerland.
- Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Cemetery has also been known as:
- St. Marys Ukrainian Catholic Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2380583<2>
- Waskatenau United Church Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Waskatenau United Church Cemetery
- Waskatenau United Church Cemetery lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<3> to the north of Deerland.
- Waskatenau United Church Cemetery has also been known as:
- Woodward's Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Waskatenau United Church Cemetery
- Redwater Cemetery
- Sacred Heart Catholic Cemetery
- Emmanuel Anglican Church Cemetery
- Notre Dames De Lourdes Cemetery
- Continue List (43 more) ...
- Ft. Saskatchewan Cemetery
- Holy Cross Ukrainian Catholic Church Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Holy Cross Ukrainian Catholic Church Cemetery
- The Holy Cross Ukrainian Catholic Church Cemetery is located 4 miles [6.4 km]<3> to the southeast of Egremont.To be more precise, Holy Cross Ukrainian Catholic Church Cemetery lies 19 miles [30.6 km] to the northwest of Deerland.
- Holy Cross Ukrainian Catholic Church Cemetery has also been known as:
- Czesnoho Christa Ukrainian Catholic Church Cemetery
- St. Michael Ukrainian Catholic Cemetery
- Sand Hills Church Cemetery
- Sandhills Church Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Holy Cross Ukrainian Catholic Church Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2547669<2>
- St. Michaels Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. Michaels Cemetery
- St. Michaels Cemetery lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<3> to the north of Deerland.
- St. Michaels Cemetery has also been known as:
- Weasel Creek Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. Michaels Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2589907<2>
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Deerland. See our List of 1890's Communities around Deerland.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Recent Changes to RoadsideThoughts ...
Cities, Towns and Villages of Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went north past Deerland and then turned west". While Deerland could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Deerland as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Bird Creek to see Pete ... Bird Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Deerland could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
Since confusion between is common, we searched and weren't able to find another Alberta community named Deerland.
|<2>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Deerland) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Deerland. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 53.8908, Longitude: -112.8520 |