Below is our collection of tidbits, odds 'n ends for Culp.
This page contains two sections:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Culp ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
Bluesky - 33 miles [53.1 km]<1> to the Northwest of Culp [Map]
Guy - 22 miles [35.4 km] to the Southeast [Map]
Judah - 25 miles [40.2 km] to the North [Map]
Kathleen - 29 miles [46.7 km] to the East [Map]
Last Lake - 35 miles [56.3 km] to the Northwest [Map]
New Fish Creek - 35 miles [56.3 km] to the South [Map]
Peace River - 33 miles [53.1 km] to the North [Map]
Springburn - 26 miles [41.8 km] to the Northeast [Map]
Tangent - 5 miles [8 km] to the West [Map]
Teepee Creek - 35 miles [56.3 km] to the Southwest [Map]
How Far From Culp to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Culp to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Culp and extending to:
- Edmonton [Map], which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 222 miles [357.3 km] to the Southeast (SE). If you could drive a straight line from Culp to Edmonton, with an average speed<2>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take nearly four hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 13 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 9 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON [Map]) is 1,932 miles [3,109.3 km] to the East (E). Driving would take three full days, a buggy would take 76 days and walking would take 110 days.
- The shortest distance<3> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock [Map]) is 6,173 miles [9,934.5 km] and it lies to the North Northeast (NNE).<4>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba [Map]) is 6,934 miles [11,159.2 km] and it lies to the North Northeast (NNE).<5>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican [Map]) is 5,078 miles [8,172.2 km] and it lies to the Northeast (NE).<6>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community located in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Culp. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Culp) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Culp. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 55.7833, Longitude: -117.5333 [Map].
|<2>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<3>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Culp to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<4>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 337.107 degrees.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 338.631 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 323.514 degrees.|