Our Genealogy Helper for Cranford ...
Although we found mention of Cranford during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Cranford was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool which helps us with planning our trips.
- We're trying to shape our Gazetteer as a tool to help us understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
- On our trips, we try to visit those places where our ancestors left their footprints.
By learning about Cranford (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this our Genealogical Helper for Cranford. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we start with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These professional and volunteer websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Cranford:
- Websites specific to Alberta
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Alberta
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Alberta
Cemeteries Near Cranford ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Cranford.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Cranford covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Barnwell Cemetery
- Taber Memorial Garden Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Taber Memorial Garden Cemetery
- The Taber Memorial Garden Cemetery is a large cemetery that is located outside and to the north of Taber.To be more accurate, Taber Memorial Garden Cemetery lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<2> to the northeast of Cranford.
- Taber Memorial Garden Cemetery has also been known as:
- Taber Cemetery
- Taber Memorial Cemetery
- Taber Memorial Gardens
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Taber Memorial Garden Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2207513<3>
- Stirling Memorial Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Stirling Memorial Cemetery
- Stirling Memorial Cemetery lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<2> to the southwest of Cranford.
- Stirling Memorial Cemetery has also been known as:
- Stirling Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Stirling Memorial Cemetery
- Wrentham Cemetery
- Huntsville Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Huntsville Cemetery
- Huntsville Cemetery lies 18 miles [29 km]<2> to the northwest of Cranford.
- Huntsville Cemetery has also been known as:
- Iron Springs Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Huntsville Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2424500<3>
- Temple Hill Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Temple Hill Cemetery
- Temple Hill Cemetery lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<2> to the southwest of Cranford.
- Temple Hill Cemetery has also been known as:
- Raymond Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Temple Hill Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2248933<3>
- New Dayton Community Cemetery
- Royal View Memorial Cemetery
- Mountain View Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Mountain View Cemetery
- The Mountain View Cemetery is a very large cemetery that is located outside and to the southwest of Lethbridge.To be more precise, Mountain View Cemetery lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<2> to the west of Cranford.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mountain View Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2146604<3>
- St. Patrick Cemetery
- Purple Springs Cemetery
- Archmount Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Archmount Cemetery
- The Archmount Cemetery is a large cemetery that is located outside and to the west of Lethbridge.More accurately, Archmount Cemetery lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<2> to the west of Cranford.
- Archmount Cemetery has also been known as:
- Archmount Memorial Garden
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Archmount Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2146605<3>
- Continue List (12 more) ...
- Bluegrass Hutterite Colony Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Bluegrass Hutterite Colony Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Bluegrass Hutterite Colony Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<4>
- Bluegrass Hutterite Colony Cemetery lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<2> to the southeast of Cranford.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bluegrass Hutterite Colony Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2597601<3>
- Retlaw Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Retlaw Cemetery
- Retlaw Cemetery lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<2> to the north of Cranford.
- Retlaw Cemetery has also been known as:
- Retlaw Municipal Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Retlaw Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2447796<3>
- Magrath Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Cranford. See our List of 1890's Communities around Cranford.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Recent Changes to RoadsideThoughts ...
Mentions & References for Cranford
Cities, Towns and Villages of Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went north past Cranford and then turned west". While Cranford could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Cranford as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Bird Creek to see Pete ... Bird Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Cranford could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
Since confusion between is common, we searched and weren't able to find another Alberta community named Cranford.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Cranford) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Cranford. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from CranfordOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Cranford. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 49.7074, Longitude: -112.3915 |
|<3>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<4>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|