Our Genealogy Helper for Cardiff ...
Although we found mention of Cardiff during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Cardiff was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Cardiff (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Cardiff. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
It's still very early in our research, but as we gather more information it will be added to this page.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we first visit the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites either offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Cardiff:
- Websites specific to Alberta
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Alberta
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Alberta
Cemeteries Near Cardiff ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Cardiff.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Cardiff covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Bon Accord Cemetery
- St. Albert RC Cemetery
- Christ Church Anglican Poplar Lake Cemetery
- Emmanuel Anglican Church Cemetery
- Sacred Heart Catholic Cemetery
- Legal Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Legal Cemetery
- Legal Cemetery lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<2> to the north of Cardiff.
- Legal Cemetery has also been known as:
- St. Emile Catholic Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Legal Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2221853<3>
- Continue List ...
- Alexander First Nations Cemetery
- St. Michael's Cemetery
- Little Mountain Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Little Mountain Cemetery
- Little Mountain Cemetery lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<2> to the southeast of Cardiff.
- Little Mountain Cemetery has also been known as:
- Little Mountain Municipal Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Little Mountain Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2327926<3>
- Beechmount Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Beechmount Cemetery
- Beechmount Cemetery lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<2> to the south of Cardiff.
- Beechmount Cemetery has also been known as:
- Beechmont Cemetery
- Beechmount Municipal Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Beechmount Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2205652<3>
- Evergreen Memorial Gardens
- Notre Dames De Lourdes Cemetery
- Westlawn Memorial Gardens
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Westlawn Memorial Gardens
- Westlawn Memorial Gardens lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<2> to the south of Cardiff.
- Westlawn Memorial Gardens has also been known as:
- Westlawn Cemetery
- Westlawn Memorial Park
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Westlawn Memorial Gardens
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2169828<3>
- St. Joachim Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. Joachim Cemetery
- St. Joachim Cemetery lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<2> to the south of Cardiff.
- St. Joachim Cemetery has also been known as:
- St. Joachim Catholic Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. Joachim Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2225480<3>
- Edmonton Municipal Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Cardiff. See our List of 1890's Communities around Cardiff.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community within Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went north past Cardiff and then turned west". While Cardiff could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Cardiff as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Mile's to see Pete ... Mile's is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Cardiff could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
Since confusion between is common, we searched and weren't able to find another Alberta community named Cardiff.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Cardiff) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Cardiff. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Cardiff
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Cardiff. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 53.7833, Longitude: -113.6000
|<3>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|