Welcome to Buffalo ...
When the people of Buffalo refer to themselves (known as a demonym), they frequently use Buffalonian<1>
Buffalo is 2,380 feet [725 m] above sea level.<2> In other words, the elevation of Buffalo is about ½ mile above sea level.
Time Zone: Buffalo lies in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: MST- Heure Normale des Rocheuses (HNR), MDT- Heure Avancée des Rocheuses (HAR).
Note: If you travel east from Buffalo (for example, toward Leader (SK)), you will leave Mountain Time and cross into the Central Standard Time Zone (CST). In addition, you will be moving from an area that observes daylight saving time to one that does not.
Telephone area codes for Buffalo: (403) & (587)<3>
The Canadian Postal Code for Buffalo: T0J<4>
Communities Also Named Buffalo ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 57 communities that are also named Buffalo - they are located in Alabama, Arkansas (3), Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Indiana (3), Iowa (2), Kansas (4), Kentucky (4), Maine, Minnesota, Missouri (3), Montana, Nebraska (2), New York, North Carolina (3), North Dakota, Ohio (2), Oklahoma (2), Oregon, Pennsylvania, Saskatchewan, South Carolina (3), South Dakota, Tennessee (5), Texas (4), West Virginia (2), Wisconsin and Wyoming.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Buffalo.
Communities near Buffalo ...
We have created a list of 8 communities that are near Buffalo.
- Bindloss (19 miles [30.6 km] to the east)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bindloss
- Bindloss lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<5> to the east of Buffalo
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Bindloss came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bindloss
- Jenner (22 miles [35.4 km] to the west)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Jenner
- Jenner lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<5> to the west of Buffalo
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Jenner came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Jenner
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Jenner<7>
- Iddesleigh (27 miles [43.5 km] to the west)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Iddesleigh
- Iddesleigh lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<5> to the west of Buffalo
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Iddesleigh
- Empress (31 miles [49.9 km] to the east)
- Acadia Valley (32 miles [51.5 km] to the northeast)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Acadia Valley
- Acadia Valley lies 32 miles [51.5 km]<5> to the northeast of Buffalo
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Acadia Valley
- Burstall (35 miles [56.3 km] to the east)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Burstall
- Burstall lies 35 miles [56.3 km]<5> to the east of Buffalo
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Burstall
- Hilda (36 miles [57.9 km] to the southeast)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hilda
- Hilda lies 36 miles [57.9 km]<5> to the southeast of Buffalo
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hilda
- Oyen (39 miles [62.8 km] to the north)
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Buffalo ...
Looking for more information about Buffalo? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
While we are unaware of a Tourism page that is specific to Buffalo, there are neighboring communities that do have Tourism pages. A map of those communities can be found with our TripAdvisor Page for Buffalo.
Adding Buffalo to Our Gazetteer ...
Our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Buffalo was on a map titled Road Map for Montana & Southern Alberta (from Shell Oil, 1951).
We also found Buffalo on a map titled Shell Oil Map of Alberta (1956).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Buffalo on our Genealogy Page.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Recent Changes to RoadsideThoughts ...
Mentions & References for Buffalo
Find a Community in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Buffalo. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how the residents of Buffalo refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a community's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of Buffalo may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.|
|<2>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Buffalo - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<3>||Area code (587) is an overlay for area code (403).|
|<4>||The Canadian Postal Code consists of 6 characters, where the first three characters are the 'Forward Sortation Area (FSA)', with the last three characters being the 'Local Delivery Unit (LDU)'. In the case of Buffalo, we provide only the FSA and not the LDU. The Canadian Postal Codes were created as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. So keep in mind that any given Postal Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Buffalo). The boundaries of the Postal Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other Postal Codes. When looking for a Postal Code, whether Buffalo or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the Canada Post / Postes Canada.|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Buffalo) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Buffalo. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from BuffaloOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Buffalo. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 50.8000, Longitude: -110.6833 |
|<6>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<7>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|