Curious and Interesting Names Near Assineau ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Driftpile (22 miles [35.4 km] to the west)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Driftpile
- Driftpile lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<1> to the west of Assineau
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Driftpile came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Driftpile
- Widewater (8 miles [12.9 km] to the east)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Widewater
- Widewater lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<1> to the east of Assineau
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Widewater came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Widewater
How Far From Assineau to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Assineau to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Assineau and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 143 miles [230.1 km]<1> to the south southeast (SSE). If you could drive a straight line from Assineau to Edmonton, with an average speed<3>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take less than three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 9 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 6 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,838 miles [2,958 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 72 days and walking would take 105 days.
- The shortest distance<4> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,162 miles [9,916.8 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<5>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,926 miles [11,146.3 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,045 miles [8,119.1 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<7>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Recent Changes to RoadsideThoughts ...
Search for a Alberta Community
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Assineau. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Assineau) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Assineau. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from AssineauOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Assineau. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 55.3741, Longitude: -115.1904 |
|<2>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<3>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<4>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Assineau to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 335.191 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 336.445 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 321.972 degrees.||