Our Genealogy Helper for Academy ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Academy (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Academy. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
It's still very early in our research, but as we gather more information it will be added to this page.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we first visit the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites either offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Academy:
- Websites specific to Alberta
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Alberta
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Alberta
Cemeteries Near Academy ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Academy.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Academy covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Chevra Kadisha Cemetery
- Jewish Memorial Chapel Cemetery
- Davisburg Cemetery
- Okotoks Cemetery
- Burnsland Cemetery
- Chinese Cemetery
- St. Marys Cemetery
- Saint Mary's Cemetery
- Saint Mary's Pioneer Cemetery
- Union Cemetery
- The Union Cemetery is a very large cemetery that is located in Calgary.
- To be more precise, Union Cemetery lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<2> to the north of Academy.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Union Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Union Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #1804353<1>
- Jewish Cemetery
- St. Mary's Pioneer Cemetery
- St. Barnabas Anglican Church Cemetery
- Mountain View Memorial Gardens
- Rocky View Garden of Peace Cemetery
- Eden Brook Memorial Gardens
- Queen's Park Cemetery
- Mt. View Mennonite Cemetery
- Dalemead Cemetery
- Highwood Cemetery
- Springbank United Church Cemetery
- Blackie Cemetery
- Frankburg Cemetery
- Strathmore Cemetery
- Airdrie Cemetery
- St. Andrew's Cemetery
- Mitford Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Mitford Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
- Mitford Cemetery lies 32 miles [51.5 km]<2> to the northwest of Academy.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Mitford Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mitford Cemetery
- St. Cecilia RC Cemetery
- Nanton Town Cemetery
- Crossfield Cemetery
- Wesley Cemetery
- Wesley Cemetery lies 41 miles [66 km]<2> to the northwest of Academy.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Wesley Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Wesley Cemetery
- Gleichen Cemetery
- West Brook Cemetery
- Zion United Cemetery
- Vulcan Cemetery
- Beisker Level Land Seventh-day Adventist Cemetery
- Standard Cemetery
- Carstairs Cemetery
- Stavely Cemetery
- St. Vincent RC Cemetery
- Cremona Cemetery
- Acme Cemetery
- The Acme Cemetery is a large cemetery that is located outside and to the northwest of Acme.
- To be more precise, Acme Cemetery lies 50 miles [80.5 km]<2> to the northeast of Academy.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Acme Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Acme Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2295690<1>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community within Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Academy. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Academy) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Academy. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Academy
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Academy. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 50.8539, Longitude: -114.0333
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|