Welcome to Abilene ...
Although we found mention of Abilene during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Abilene was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We've added Abilene to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Abilene, please Contact Us.
When the people of Abilene refer to themselves (known as a demonym), they frequently use Abilenian<2>
Time Zone: The area where we believe that Abilene might be (or was) located is in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: MST- Heure Normale des Rocheuses (HNR), MDT- Heure Avancée des Rocheuses (HAR).
We believe that Abilene would be found within the (780) and (587)<3> area codes.
Communities Also Named Abilene ...
Using our Gazetteer, we found that there are 6 communities that are also named Abilene - they are located in Arkansas, California, Georgia, Kansas, Texas and Virginia.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Abilene.
Communities near Abilene ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Abilene.
- Saint Paul
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Glendon
- Glendon lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<4> to the northeast of Abilene.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Glendon came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Glendon
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Glendon<5>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Vilna
- Vilna lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<4> to the west of Abilene.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Vilna
- Horseshoe Bay
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Horseshoe Bay
- Horseshoe Bay lies 5 miles [8 km]<4> to the east of Abilene.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Horseshoe Bay came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Horseshoe Bay
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ashmont
- Ashmont lies 3 miles [4.8 km]<4> to the northwest of Abilene.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ashmont
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mallaig
- Mallaig lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<4> to the northeast of Abilene.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mallaig
- Saint Brides
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Saint Brides
- Saint Brides lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<4> to the south of Abilene.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Saint Brides came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Saint Brides
- Saint Vincent
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Saint Vincent
- Saint Vincent lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<4> to the east of Abilene.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Saint Vincent came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Saint Vincent
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Spedden
- Spedden lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<4> to the west of Abilene.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Spedden
- Saddle Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Saddle Lake
- Saddle Lake lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<4> to the southwest of Abilene.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Saddle Lake
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Abilene ...
Looking for more information about Abilene? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
While we are unaware of a Tourism page that is specific to Abilene, there are neighboring communities that do have Tourism pages. A map of those communities can be found with our TripAdvisor Page for Abilene.
Adding Abilene to Our Gazetteer ...
As we work on our Gazetteer, we occasionally find mention of a community that is new to us. When we find such a community, we add it to our Gazetteer with the hope of adding more information in the future.
The earliest source we've referenced which mentioned Abilene was mentioned on a train schedule titled Canadian National Railroad Time Tables (October 1960).
For more details, see References and Mentions for Abilene.
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went north past Abilene and then turned east". While Abilene could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Abilene as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Mile's to see Pete ... Mile's is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Abilene could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how the residents of Abilene refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a community's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of Abilene may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.|
|<3>||Area code (587) is an overlay for area code (780).|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Abilene) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Abilene. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 54.1102, Longitude: -111.4911 |
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||If we found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|