Welcome to Index ...
So far, we have found very little information about Index. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Index to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Index, please Contact Us.
Index would have been located within present day Calhoun County<2>.
The location of Index has been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (ie- the GNIS).<3>
While the community is gone, the present day location for Index is 850 feet [259 m] above sea level.<4>.
Time Zone: The area where Index was located is in the Eastern Time Zone (EST/EDT) and observes daylight saving time
The location where Index once stood is in the (304) and (681)<5> area codes.
Communities Also Named Index ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 10 communities that are also named Index - they are located in Alabama, Arkansas (2), Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, New York, North Carolina, Virginia and Washington.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Index.
Communities near Index ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Index.
- Spencer [Roane County]
- Glenville [Gilmer County]
- Gassaway [Braxton County]
- Grantsville [Calhoun County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Grantsville
- Grantsville [Calhoun County] lies 5 miles [8 km]<6> to the northwest of Index
- Estimated population in 2019: 513 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Grantsville have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Grantsville
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Grantsville<7>
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Burnsville [Braxton County]
- Sand Fork [Gilmer County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sand Fork
- Sand Fork [Gilmer County] lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<6> to the east of Index
- Estimated population in 2019: 148 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Sand Fork have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sand Fork
- Auburn [Ritchie County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Auburn
- Auburn [Ritchie County] lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<6> to the northeast of Index
- Estimated population in 2019: 88 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Auburn have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Auburn
- Shock [Gilmer County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Shock
- Shock [Gilmer County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<6> to the south of Index
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Shock
- Arnoldsburg [Calhoun County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Arnoldsburg
- Arnoldsburg [Calhoun County] lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<6> to the southwest of Index
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Arnoldsburg
- Orma [Calhoun County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Orma
- Orma [Calhoun County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<6> to the southwest of Index
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Orma
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Index. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Index.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Index. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Index.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Index. See our Newspapers Page for Index.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community located in West Virginia
About Calhoun County
About West Virginia
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for State of West Virginia: https://www.wv.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Index, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of West Virginia's counties, including Calhoun, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Index - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||Area code (681) is an overlay for area code (304).|
|<6>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Index) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Index. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 38.8765, Longitude: -81.0157 In this case, the coordinates for Index have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<7>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|