Welcome to Augusta ...
Augusta is located in Hampshire County<1>.
When the people of Augusta refer to themselves (known as a demonym), they frequently use Augustan<2>
Augusta is 1,290 feet [393 m] above sea level.<3>.
Time Zone: Augusta lies in the Eastern Time Zone (EST/EDT) and observes daylight saving time
Telephone area codes for Augusta: (304) and (681)<4>
The ZIP code for Augusta: 26704<5>
Communities Also Named Augusta ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are two West Virginia communities named Augusta: This one is located in Hampshire County and the other is located in Mercer County.
Beyond West Virginia, there are 29 communities that are also named Augusta - they are located in Arkansas, Colorado, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana (2), Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana (3), Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Ontario, South Dakota, Texas and Wisconsin.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Augusta.
Communities near Augusta ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Augusta.
- Romney [Hampshire County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Romney
- Romney [Hampshire County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<6> to the northwest of Augusta
- Population from the 2020 Census: 1,680 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Romney
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Romney<7>
- Paw Paw [Morgan County]
- Capon Bridge [Hampshire County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Capon Bridge
- Capon Bridge [Hampshire County] lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<6> to the east of Augusta
- Population from the 2020 Census: 371 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Capon Bridge have been provided by the GNIS.<8> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Capon Bridge
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Capon Bridge<7>
- Wardensville [Hardy County]
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Sedan [Hampshire County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sedan
- Sedan [Hampshire County] lies 5 miles [8 km]<6> to the southeast of Augusta
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Sedan have been provided by the GNIS.<8> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sedan
- North River Mills [Hampshire County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for North River Mills
- North River Mills [Hampshire County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<6> to the east of Augusta
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for North River Mills have been provided by the GNIS.<8> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on North River Mills
- Three Churches [Hampshire County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Three Churches
- Three Churches [Hampshire County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<6> to the north of Augusta
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Three Churches
- Slanesville [Hampshire County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Slanesville
- Slanesville [Hampshire County] lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<6> to the northeast of Augusta
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Slanesville
- Points [Hampshire County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Points
- Points [Hampshire County] lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<6> to the north of Augusta
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Points
- Ritters [Hampshire County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ritters
- Ritters [Hampshire County] lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<6> to the northwest of Augusta
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ritters
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Augusta. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Augusta.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Augusta. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Augusta.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Augusta. See our Newspapers Page for Augusta.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Augusta ...
Looking for more information about Augusta? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Augusta, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Augusta.
Adding Augusta to Our Gazetteer ...
We originally found mention of Augusta in both the FIPS-55 and the GNIS. For more information, see the FIPS and GNIS Codes sections on our Miscellaneous Page.
In addition, our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Augusta was in the Business Atlas and Shippers' Guide (1895).
We also found Augusta on a map titled Rand McNally Map of West Virginia (1911).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Augusta on our Genealogy Page.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community in West Virginia
About Hampshire County
About West Virginia
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Augusta. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of West Virginia: https://www.wv.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of West Virginia's counties, including Hampshire, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how the residents of Augusta refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a community's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of Augusta may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.|
|<3>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Augusta - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<4>||Area code (681) is an overlay for area code (304).|
|<5>||ZIP Codes have been created by the United States Postal Service (USPS) as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. The boundaries of the ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other ZIP Codes. So keep in mind that any given ZIP Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Augusta). When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Augusta or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|
|<6>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Augusta) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Augusta. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from AugustaOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Augusta. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 39.2954, Longitude: -78.6377 |
|<7>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<8>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|