Census Data for Rewey ...
The most recent Census Estimate<1> was for 2019 and it gave Rewey a population of 282 people.
The last Decennial Census<2> was in 2010, which gave Rewey a population of 292 people.
The village of Rewey is located in Iowa County. The 2010 Census gave Iowa County; a population of 23,687 people. This means that Rewey had 1.23% of the county's total population, making it Iowa's 24th most populous community.
At the same time, Wisconsin had a population of 5,686,986 people.
The 2010 Census shows that the sampling area for Rewey has a total area of 0.5 square miles [1.3 km²].
Iowa County has a land area of 762 square miles [1,975.1 km²]. At 0.5 square miles [1.3 km²], Rewey has 0.07% of the county's total land area.
- Continue Reading ...
- When the Census Bureau conducts a census for a village like Rewey, they draw a boundary around the area in which they are going to conduct their count - this defines the sampling area (usually a polygon). The shape of the sampling area can be quite complex and it's important to keep in mind that the boundaries of the sampling area may or may not match the recognized boundaries of the village.
- Things like population, area and housing for Rewey reflect the sampling area. Since the shape of the sampling area and the actual boundaries of Rewey might be different, it's best to check with the U.S. Census Bureau to resolve any difference between the two.
- Not only does the sampling area define boundaries, it also has a GPS location (latitude & longitude) that indicates a point within the sampling area (usually the center of the polygon, known as the centroid). At the time of the 2010 Census, the sampling area was located at:
- Lat: 42° 50' 30" (or 42.84°)
- Lon: -90° 23' 46" (or -90.4°)
- More information on this topic and the changes between the 2000 Census and the 2010 Census can be found in the section for our Census-to-Census Observations ... (see below).
Housing Units ...
At the time of the 2010 Census, Rewey had 129 Housing Units<3> and with its population of 292 people, this averages 2.26 people per Housing Unit.
- Continue Reading ...
- The 2010 Census shows Rewey had a land area of 0.5 square miles [1.3 km²]. This translates to 258.5 Housing Units per square mile [99.8 housing units/km²].
- From the Census of 2000: Rewey had 128 Housing Units, a population of 311 people and a land area of 0.5 square miles [1.3 km²]. This gives a density of 2.43 people per Housing Unit and 258 Housing Units per square mile [99.6 housing units/km²].
- Note: Repeating the caution above (under Population Density), be aware that when comparing Housing Units between the 2010 and the 2000 Census, there were changes in the sampling area for Rewey and you need to be careful when comparing between the censuses. More information about these differences can be found in the section called Census-to-Census Observations ... (see below).
Iowa County ...
The community of Rewey is located in Iowa County<4>.
The county had a population of 23,687 people at the 2010 Census. With it's population of 292 people, Rewey represented 1.23% of the county's total.
In addition, where the village of Rewey has a population density of 585 people per square mile [225.9 people/km²], Iowa County averages 31.06 people per square mile [11.99 people/km²].
For more information, please visit our Census Page for Iowa County.
Census-to-Census Observations ...
When the Census Bureau takes a census count (or enumeration) for Rewey, they start by specifying the boundaries of the area to be counted. This area (or sampling area) is a polygon and its shape can be quite complex - it may or may not match the geographical boundaries of Rewey. It's important to note that from one Census to the next, the shape and location of the polygon can change.
- Continue Reading ...
- Although we don't have specific information about the shape of the polygon for Rewey or how it changed has over time, there is some information that can give us some hints. For example, since the shape of the sampling area is directly related to the shape of the polygon, any change to area probably indicates a new shape for the polygon.
- If you need precision or details about the methodology of the Census, you should visit the U.S. Census Bureau for a definitive answer.
While generally coinciding with the GPS location (latitude/longitude) of Rewey, the latitude and longitude given by the Census Bureau actually indicates the GPS location of the polygon for Rewey.
- Continue Reading ...
- For the 2010 Census, the location was given as:
- Lat: 42.841667° (or 42°50'30" N)
- Lon: -90.396218° (or -90°23'46" W)
- For the 2000 Census, the location given was:
- Lat: 42.842679° (or 42°50'33" N)
- Lon: -90.396486° (or -90°23'47" W)
- The difference indicates that the U.S. Census Bureau moved the location of the polygon for the 2010 Census 375.8 feet to the south<5> of the location that was used in the 2000 Census.
- The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) and the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN) have assigned a unique GNIS identifier (#1584012) to Rewey. This identifier also marks a GPS point on the map, and that point lies within the boundaries of Rewey. The GNIS point has been mapped to the latitude/longitude:
- Lat: 42.841938° (or 42°50'30" N)
- Lon: -90.396516° (or -90°23'47" W)
- The GPS location given for the 2010 Census lies 126.9 feet to the southeast<6> of the point given by the GNIS for Rewey. For more information about this and the relationship of the various Federal Codes, please visit our Misc Page for Rewey.
Miscellaneous Information for Rewey ...
The Federal government has assigned various identifying codes to each community, county and state. At one time or another, the US Census Bureau has used one (or more) of the following identifiers when referring to either Iowa County or the village of Rewey:
- The GNIS Codes ...
- The current system of identification is called the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS). The following GNIS codes relate to Rewey:
- GNIS ID for Rewey: 1584012
- GNIS ID for Iowa County: 1581084
- GNIS ID for State of Wisconsin: 1779806
- The FIPS Codes ...
- An earlier (and largely obsolete) identification method was called the Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS):
- State Code: 55 (Wisconsin)
- County Code: 049 (Iowa County)
- Place Code: 67100 (Rewey)
- State & County Code: 55/049 (Wisconsin / Iowa County)
- State & Place Code: 55/67100 (Wisconsin / Rewey)
- Misc. Census Codes ...
- Rewey is located in Census Region #2 (the Midwest Region) and Division #3 (the East North-Central Division).
- The US Postal Service ZIP Code ...
- While some people have used a ZIP code to identify a community, the purpose of the ZIP code was to make mail delivery more efficient by grouping addresses together. Although the ZIP Code doesn't specifically identify a village like Rewey, it does identify addresses that are in (or near) Rewey. It's important to remember that the boundaries of a ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned or overlapped with other ZIP Codes.
- The ZIP code for Rewey:53580<7>
- Census ZCTA Codes ...
- The US Census Bureau created statistical entities that they call ZIP Code Tabulation Areas (ZCTAs) and these ZCTAs are frequently confused with the ZIP codes that come from the US Postal Service (USPS).
- ZCTAs were first created for the 2000 Census and at that time, they were based upon the USPS ZIP codes. While largely covering the same areas, the boundaries of a ZCTA do not necessarily match the boundaries of a postal ZIP code with the same number. For example, while a postal ZIP code can cross a county or state line, a Census ZCTA can not. They should be treated as separate entities with no correlation between them.
For more information about the various Federal identification codes, please visit our Misc Page for Rewey.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community located in Wisconsin
About Iowa County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Rewey. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Iowa County: www.iowacounty.org/
The official website for State of Wisconsin: https://www.wisconsin.gov/
The official website of the U.S. Census Bureau
The official website of the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN)
The official website of the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS)
|<1>||Every year, the US Census Bureau creates a population estimate for the preceeding year. Keep in mind that this value is an estimate and not an actual count. The most recent Census estimate is for the year 2019.|
|<2>||Every 10 years (eg- 1990, 2000, 2010), the US Census Bureau conducts a Constitutionally-mandated count (or enumeration) of people living within the United States. This count is called a Decennial Census. The last Decennial Census was the 2010 Census, with the next one planned for 2020.|
|<3>||A Housing Unit is a broad term for those places where people live (whether occupied or temporarily vacant), such as a house, an apartment, a mobile home, or an area that is considered as a separate living quarter. Separate living quarters (consisting of one or more rooms) are considered to be those places where people live, sleep and eat separately from others and that have access to the outside (either directly or by a shared hallway).|
|<4>||If you're interested in how the shape of Wisconsin's counties, including Iowa, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the 2010 Census location is 190 degrees and a distance of 375.8 feet.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the GNIS point is 218 degrees and a distance of 126.9 feet.|
|<7>||When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Rewey or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|