Census Data for Little Suamico ...
The most recent Census Estimate<1> was for 2019 and it gave Little Suamico a population of 4,892 people.
The last Decennial Census<2> was in 2010, which gave Little Suamico a population of 4,799 people.
The community of Little Suamico is located in Oconto County. The 2010 Census gave Oconto County; a population of 37,660 people. This means that Little Suamico had 12.74% of the county's total population, making it Oconto's most populous community.
At the same time, Wisconsin had a population of 5,686,986 people, meaning that Little Suamico had 0.08% of the total population of Wisconsin - making it the state's 184th most populous community.
The 2010 Census shows that the sampling area for Little Suamico has a total area of 37.35 square miles [96.7 km²]. Of this total, a small amount of the area is covered by water (0.06 square miles [0.2 km²]).
Oconto County has a land area of 997 square miles [2,584.8 km²]. At 37.29 square miles [96.6 km²], Little Suamico has 3.74% of the county's total land area.
- Continue Reading ...
- When the Census Bureau conducts a census for a community like Little Suamico, they draw a boundary around the area in which they are going to conduct their count - this defines the sampling area (usually a polygon). The shape of the sampling area can be quite complex and it's important to keep in mind that the boundaries of the sampling area may or may not match the recognized boundaries of the community.
- Things like population, area and housing for Little Suamico reflect the sampling area. Since the shape of the sampling area and the actual boundaries of Little Suamico might be different, it's best to check with the U.S. Census Bureau to resolve any difference between the two.
- Not only does the sampling area define boundaries, it also has a GPS location (latitude & longitude) that indicates a point within the sampling area (usually the center of the polygon, known as the centroid). At the time of the 2010 Census, the sampling area was located at:
- Lat: 44° 42' 39" (or 44.71°)
- Lon: -88° 3' 24" (or -88.06°)
- More information on this topic and the changes between the 2000 Census and the 2010 Census can be found in the section for our Census-to-Census Observations ... (see below).
Housing Units ...
At the time of the 2010 Census, Little Suamico had 1,895 Housing Units<3> and with its population of 4,799 people, this averages 2.53 people per Housing Unit.
- Continue Reading ...
- The 2010 Census shows Little Suamico had a land area of 37.29 square miles [96.6 km²]. This translates to 50.7 Housing Units per square mile [19.59 housing units/km²].
- From the Census of 2000: Little Suamico had 1,403 Housing Units, a population of 3,877 people and a land area of 37.34 square miles [96.7 km²]. This gives a density of 2.76 people per Housing Unit and 37.51 Housing Units per square mile [14.48 housing units/km²].
- Note: Repeating the caution above (under Population Density), be aware that when comparing Housing Units between the 2010 and the 2000 Census, there were changes in the sampling area for Little Suamico and you need to be careful when comparing between the censuses. More information about the changes can be found in the section called Census-to-Census Observations ... (see below).
Oconto County ...
The community of Little Suamico is located in Oconto County<4>.
The county had a population of 37,660 people at the 2010 Census. With it's population of 4,799 people, Little Suamico represented 12.74% of the county's total.
In addition, where the community of Little Suamico has a population density of 128.5 people per square mile [49.61 people/km²], Oconto County averages 37.74 people per square mile [14.57 people/km²].
For more information, please visit our Census Page for Oconto County.
Census-to-Census Observations ...
When the Census Bureau takes a census count (or enumeration) for Little Suamico, they start by specifying the boundaries of the area to be counted. This area (or sampling area) is a polygon and its shape can be quite complex - it may or may not match the geographical boundaries of Little Suamico. It's important to note that from one Census to the next, the shape and location of the polygon can change.
- Continue Reading ...
- Although we don't have specific information about the shape of the polygon for Little Suamico or how it changed has over time, there is some information that can give us some hints. For example, since the shape of the sampling area is directly related to the shape of the polygon, any change to area probably indicates a new shape for the polygon.
- If you need precision or details about the methodology of the Census, you should visit the U.S. Census Bureau for a definitive answer.
While generally coinciding with the GPS location (latitude/longitude) of Little Suamico, the latitude and longitude given by the Census Bureau actually indicates the GPS location of the polygon for Little Suamico.
- Continue Reading ...
- For the 2010 Census, the location was given as:
- Lat: 44.711025° (or 44°42'39" N)
- Lon: -88.056687° (or -88°3'24" W)
- For the 2000 Census, the location given was:
- Lat: 44.715369° (or 44°42'55" N)
- Lon: -88.045918° (or -88°2'45" W)
- The difference indicates that the U.S. Census Bureau moved the location of the polygon for the 2010 Census 3,208 feet to the southwest<5> of the location that was used in the 2000 Census.
- The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) and the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN) have assigned a unique GNIS identifier (#1583586) to Little Suamico. This identifier also marks a GPS point on the map, and that point lies within the boundaries of Little Suamico. The GNIS point has been mapped to the latitude/longitude:
- Lat: 44.711104° (or 44°42'39" N)
- Lon: -88.055937° (or -88°3'21" W)
- The GPS location given for the 2010 Census lies 196.4 feet to the west<6> of the point given by the GNIS for Little Suamico. For more information about this and the relationship of the various Federal Codes, please visit our Misc Page for Little Suamico.
Miscellaneous Information for Little Suamico ...
The Federal government has assigned various identifying codes to each community, county and state. At one time or another, the US Census Bureau has used one (or more) of the following identifiers when referring to either Oconto County or the community of Little Suamico:
- The GNIS Codes ...
- The current system of identification is called the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS). The following GNIS codes relate to Little Suamico:
- GNIS ID for Little Suamico: 1583586
- GNIS ID for Oconto County: 1581102
- GNIS ID for State of Wisconsin: 1779806
- Misc. Census Codes ...
- Little Suamico is located in Census Region #2 (the Midwest Region) and Division #3 (the East North-Central Division).
For more information about the various Federal identification codes, please visit our Misc Page for Little Suamico.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Wisconsin Community
About Oconto County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Little Suamico. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Oconto County: www.co.oconto.wi.us/
The official website for State of Wisconsin: https://www.wisconsin.gov/
The official website of the U.S. Census Bureau
The official website of the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN)
The official website of the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS)
|<1>||Every year, the US Census Bureau creates a population estimate for the preceeding year. Keep in mind that this value is an estimate and not an actual count. The most recent Census estimate is for the year 2019.|
|<2>||Every 10 years (eg- 1990, 2000, 2010), the US Census Bureau conducts a Constitutionally-mandated count (or enumeration) of people living within the United States. This count is called a Decennial Census. The last Decennial Census was the 2010 Census, with the next one planned for 2020.|
|<3>||A Housing Unit is a broad term for those places where people live (whether occupied or temporarily vacant), such as a house, an apartment, a mobile home, or an area that is considered as a separate living quarter. Separate living quarters (consisting of one or more rooms) are considered to be those places where people live, sleep and eat separately from others and that have access to the outside (either directly or by a shared hallway).|
|<4>||If you're interested in how the shape of Wisconsin's counties, including Oconto, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the 2010 Census location is 119 degrees and a distance of 3,208 feet.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the GNIS point is 98 degrees and a distance of 196.4 feet.|