Welcome to Tonasket ...
The city of Tonasket is located in Okanogan County<1>.
The pronunciation of Tonasket: tuhn-AS-kuht<2>
From the Census Estimates for 2019, Tonasket has a population of 1,132 people<3> (see below for details).
We don't have a date for the establishment of Tonasket.
Tonasket is 950 feet [290 m] above sea level.<4>.
Time Zone: Tonasket lies in the Pacific Time Zone (PST/PDT) and observes daylight saving time
The area code for Tonasket: (509)
The ZIP code for Tonasket: 98855<5>
Websites for Tonasket ...
Official Website: www.tonasketcity.org/
Population Details ...
Taken from the 2019 Census Estimates, Tonasket had an population of 1,132 people. This is an increase of 9.69% since the 2010 Census (or an increase of 13.88% since the 2000 Census).
At the time of the 2010 Census, Tonasket had a population of 1,032 people. This makes Tonasket the county's 5th most populous community.
The population of Tonasket represents 0.02% of the total population of Washington (which has 6,724,540 people), making it the state's 197th most populous community.
With a 2010 count of 1,032 people, the population of Tonasket increased 3.82% from the 2000 Census (which had a count of 994 people).
More information can be found on the Census Page for Tonasket.
Communities near Tonasket ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Tonasket.
- Oroville [Okanogan County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Oroville
- Oroville [Okanogan County] lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<6> to the north of Tonasket
- Population from the 2020 Census: 1,688 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Oroville
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Oroville<7>
- Riverside [Okanogan County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Riverside
- Riverside [Okanogan County] lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<6> to the south of Tonasket
- Population from the 2020 Census: 274 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Riverside
- Conconully [Okanogan County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Conconully
- Conconully [Okanogan County] lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<6> to the southwest of Tonasket
- Population from the 2020 Census: 211 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Conconully
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Conconully<7>
- Loomis [Okanogan County]
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Synarep [Okanogan County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Synarep
- Synarep [Okanogan County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<6> to the south of Tonasket
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Synarep
- North Omak [Okanogan County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for North Omak
- North Omak [Okanogan County] lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<6> to the south of Tonasket
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for North Omak have been provided by the GNIS.<8> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on North Omak
- Ruby [Okanogan County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ruby
- Ruby [Okanogan County] was located 19 miles [30.6 km]<6> to the southwest of Tonasket
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Ruby have been provided by the GNIS.<8> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Omak [Okanogan County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Omak
- Omak [Okanogan County] lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<6> to the south of Tonasket
- Population from the 2020 Census: 4,827 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Omak
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Omak<7>
- Molson [Okanogan County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Molson
- Molson [Okanogan County] was located 21 miles [33.8 km]<6> to the northeast of Tonasket
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Osoyoos
- Osoyoos lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<6> to the north of Tonasket
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Osoyoos came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<9>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Osoyoos
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Osoyoos<7>
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Tonasket. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Tonasket.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Tonasket. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Tonasket.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Tonasket. Our list includes 6 papers. See our Newspapers Page for Tonasket.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Tonasket ...
Looking for more information about Tonasket? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Tonasket, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Tonasket.
Adding Tonasket to Our Gazetteer ...
We originally found mention of Tonasket in both the FIPS-55 and the GNIS. For more information, see the FIPS and GNIS Codes sections on our Miscellaneous Page.
In addition, our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Tonasket was on a map titled Auto Trails Map - Washington and Oregon (from Rand McNally, 1925).
We also found Tonasket on a map titled Mobile Oil Map of Washington (1949).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Tonasket on our Genealogy Page.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Communities in Washington
About Okanogan County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Tonasket: www.tonasketcity.org/
The official website for Okanogan County: www.okanogancounty.org/
The official website for State of Washington: https://access.wa.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of Washington's counties, including Okanogan, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||The pronunciation we've provided is our attempt to give a phonetic pronunciation for Tonasket. While it might not be exactly right, hopefully it will be close. If we have it wrong or there's a better way to pronounce the name, please contact us through our Feedback Page.|
|<3>||Population counts have been provided by the U.S. Census Bureau. For more detail, please visit our Census Page for Tonasket.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Tonasket - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||ZIP Codes have been created by the United States Postal Service (USPS) as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. The boundaries of the ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other ZIP Codes. So keep in mind that any given ZIP Code is only 'loosely' associated with a city (such as Tonasket). When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Tonasket or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|
|<6>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Tonasket) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Tonasket. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from TonasketOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Tonasket. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 48.7055, Longitude: -119.4391 |
|<7>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<8>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<9>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|