Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Oxley, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Oxley and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Oxley:
- 46.617327, -122.907347
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Oxley
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Oxley ...
We have found three communities that share the name Oxley.
Within Washington, the name Oxley is unique.
Beyond Washington, we know of another three communities that are located throughout in the United States and Canada. Of these three communities, .
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Searcy County
- This Oxley is located in Searcy County and lies 1,733 miles [2,789 km]<1> to the east southeast of the Oxley that is located in Lewis County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Oxley
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Searcy County community of Oxley.
- Blaine County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<2> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Oklahoma community of Oxley [Blaine County].
- This Oxley lies 1,981 miles [3,188.1 km]<1> to the east of the Oxley that is located in Lewis County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Oxley
Curious and Interesting Names Near Oxley ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Alpha [Lewis County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Alpha
- Alpha [Lewis County] lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<1> to the east of Oxley
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Alpha have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Alpha
- Bunker [Lewis County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bunker
- Bunker [Lewis County] lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<1> to the west of Oxley
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Bunker have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bunker
- Ethel [Lewis County]
- Grand Mound [Thurston County]
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Marys Corner [Lewis County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Marys Corner
- Marys Corner [Lewis County] lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<1> to the southeast of Oxley
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Marys Corner have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Marys Corner
- Mays [Lewis County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mays
- Mays [Lewis County] was located 12 miles [19.3 km]<1> to the west of Oxley
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Mays have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Michigan Hill [Thurston County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Michigan Hill
- Michigan Hill [Thurston County] lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<1> to the northwest of Oxley
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Michigan Hill have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Michigan Hill
- Wildwood [Lewis County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Wildwood
- Wildwood [Lewis County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<1> to the southwest of Oxley
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Wildwood have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Wildwood
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Oxley. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- Bob Houbregs (Professional basketball)
- Professional basketball. He was born in Vancouver (British Columbia) on Saturday March 12, 1932 and died in Olympia (Washington) on Wednesday May 28, 2014 at the age of 82. He is buried at Evergreen - Washelli Memorial Park (King County, Washington).
- Olympia is located 29 miles [46.7 km] to the north of Oxley.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Bob Houbregs<5>
How Far From Oxley to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Oxley to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Oxley and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Chehalis, which is the Seat of Lewis County and lies just to the Northwest.
- Olympia, which is the State Capital of Washington, lies 29 miles [46.7 km]<1> to the north (N). If you could walk a straight line from Oxley to Olympia, with an average speed<6> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take just about two full days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take just over a day.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 2,350 miles [3,782 km] to the east (E). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take 5 days, a buggy would take 92 days and walking would take 134 days.
- The shortest distance<7> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,846 miles [11,017.6 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,608 miles [12,243.9 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<9>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,732 miles [9,224.8 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<10>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community located in Washington
About Lewis County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Oxley. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Lewis County: www.co.lewis.wa.us/
The official website for State of Washington: https://access.wa.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Oxley) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Oxley. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 46.6173, Longitude: -122.9073 In this case, the coordinates for Oxley have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<2>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Bird Creek to see Pete ... Bird Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Oxley could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong county. Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<6>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<7>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Oxley to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 341.302 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 342.878 degrees.|
|<10>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 328.205 degrees.||