Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Onion Creek, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Onion Creek and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Onion Creek:
- 48.783798, -117.811651
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Onion Creek
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Onion Creek ...
We have found three communities that share the name Onion Creek.
Within Washington, the name Onion Creek is unique.
Beyond Washington, we know of another three communities that are located throughout in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Osage County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Kansas community of Onion Creek [Osage County].
- Ellis County
- This Onion Creek is located in Ellis County and lies 1,584 miles [2,549.2 km]<2> to the southeast of the Onion Creek that is located in Stevens County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Onion Creek
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Ellis County community of Onion Creek.
- Travis County
- This Onion Creek is located in Travis County and lies 1,662 miles [2,674.7 km] to the southeast of the Onion Creek that is located in Stevens County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Onion Creek
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Travis County community of Onion Creek.
Curious and Interesting Names Near Onion Creek ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Aladdin [Stevens County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Aladdin
- Aladdin [Stevens County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<2> to the southeast of Onion Creek
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Aladdin have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Aladdin
- Bear [Stevens County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bear
- Bear [Stevens County] lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<2> to the southwest of Onion Creek
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Bear have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bear
- Echo [Stevens County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Echo
- Echo [Stevens County] lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<2> to the southwest of Onion Creek
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Echo have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Echo
- Evans [Stevens County]
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Goldfield Mill [Stevens County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Goldfield Mill
- Goldfield Mill [Stevens County] lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<2> to the east of Onion Creek
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Goldfield Mill have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Goldfield Mill
- Little Dalles [Stevens County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Little Dalles
- Little Dalles [Stevens County] was located 5 miles [8 km]<2> to the northwest of Onion Creek
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Little Dalles have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Marble [Stevens County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Marble
- Marble [Stevens County] lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<2> to the northwest of Onion Creek
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Marble
- Spirit [Stevens County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Spirit
- Spirit [Stevens County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<2> to the northeast of Onion Creek
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Spirit
How Far From Onion Creek to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Onion Creek to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Onion Creek and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Colville, which is the Seat of Stevens County and lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<2> to the south southwest. If you could walk a straight line from Onion Creek to Colville, with an average speed<5> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take most of a day to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take five to six hours.
- Olympia, which is the State Capital of Washington, lies 264 miles [424.9 km] to the west southwest (WSW). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take four to five hours, a buggy would take 11 days and walking would take 15 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 2,113 miles [3,400.5 km] to the east (E). Driving would take 5 days, a buggy would take 83 days and walking would take 120 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,623 miles [10,658.7 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,388 miles [11,889.8 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,476 miles [8,812.8 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Communities in Washington
About Stevens County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Onion Creek. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Stevens County: www.co.stevens.wa.us/
The official website for State of Washington: https://access.wa.gov/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Rock Creek to see Pete ... Rock Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Onion Creek could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong county. Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Onion Creek) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Onion Creek. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 48.7838, Longitude: -117.8117 In this case, the coordinates for Onion Creek have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Onion Creek to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 337.209 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 338.261 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 324.693 degrees.||