Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Old Royal, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Old Royal and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Old Royal:
- 48.179241, -124.458555
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Old Royal
- Bird Watching ...
- We enjoy finding new spots for bird watching and we use the eBird website for local sighting reports and to help identify hotspots.
- The eBird website is organized on a county-by-county basis. We have selected Clallam County as the starting point when you click on the link below:
- eBird sighting report for Clallam County
- Since Old Royal is near Jefferson County, we have provided a link to its eBird sighting report:
- eBird sighting report for Jefferson County
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Old Royal ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Beaver [Clallam County]
- Crescent [Clallam County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Crescent
- Crescent [Clallam County] lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<1> to the east of Old Royal
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Crescent have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Crescent
- Forks [Clallam County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Forks
- Forks [Clallam County] lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<1> to the south of Old Royal
- Population from the 2020 Census: 3,914 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Forks
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Forks<2>
- Joyce [Clallam County]
- Continue List (3 more) ...
- Oil City [Jefferson County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Oil City
- Oil City [Jefferson County] lies 29 miles [46.7 km]<1> to the south of Old Royal
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Oil City have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Oil City
- Shadow [Clallam County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Shadow
- Shadow [Clallam County] lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<1> to the east of Old Royal
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Shadow have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Shadow
- Twin [Clallam County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Twin
- Twin [Clallam County] lies 23 miles [37 km]<1> to the east of Old Royal
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Twin have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Twin
How Far From Old Royal to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Old Royal to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Old Royal and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Port Angeles, which is the Seat of Clallam County and lies 47 miles [75.6 km]<1> to the east. If you could walk a straight line from Old Royal to Port Angeles, with an average speed<4> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take about three full days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take most of two days.
- Olympia, which is the State Capital of Washington, lies 107 miles [172.2 km] to the southeast (SE). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take less than two hours, a buggy would take 5 days and walking would take 6 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 2,417 miles [3,889.8 km] to the east (E). Driving would take 5 days, a buggy would take 95 days and walking would take 138 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,766 miles [10,888.8 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,525 miles [12,110.3 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,677 miles [9,136.2 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community located in Washington
About Clallam County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Old Royal. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Clallam County: www.clallam.net/
The official website for State of Washington: https://access.wa.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Old Royal) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Old Royal. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 48.1792, Longitude: -124.4586 In this case, the coordinates for Old Royal have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<2>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Old Royal to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 342.668 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 344.535 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 329.126 degrees.||