Around Oakland ...
The largest community within a 50 mile [80 km] radius is Tacoma. It is located about 29 miles [46 km] to the east of Oakland. Tacoma has a population of 220,000 people.<1>.
The next largest community is Kent.
It is located about 40 miles [ km] to the east of Oakland and has a population of 131,000 people.
The following is a sample of nearby communities: Keep in mind that when we give a distance, it's a 'straight-line' distance starting from Oakland.<2>
- Allyn [Mason County]
- Bayshore [Mason County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bayshore
- Bayshore [Mason County] lies less than 2 miles<2> to the northeast of Oakland
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bayshore
- Grapeview [Mason County]
- Herron Island [Pierce County]
- Home [Pierce County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Home
- Home [Pierce County] lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<2> to the east of Oakland
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Home
- Hoodsport [Mason County]
- Continue List (9 more) ...
- Lakebay [Pierce County]
- Longbranch [Pierce County]
- McCleary Junction [Grays Harbor County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for McCleary Junction
- McCleary Junction [Grays Harbor County] lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<2> to the southwest of Oakland
- Jump to Google Maps centered on McCleary Junction
- Mohrweis [Mason County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mohrweis
- Mohrweis [Mason County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<2> to the northwest of Oakland
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mohrweis
- Potlatch [Mason County]
- Puget [Thurston County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Puget
- Puget [Thurston County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<2> to the southeast of Oakland
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Puget
- Shelton [Mason County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Shelton
- Shelton [Mason County] lies less than 2 miles<2> to the southwest of Oakland
- Population from the 2020 Census: 10,955 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Shelton
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Shelton<3>
- Skokomish [Mason County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Skokomish
- Skokomish [Mason County] lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<2> to the northwest of Oakland
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Skokomish
- Tahuya [Mason County]
For more communities neighboring Oakland, please visit our County-by-County Page for Oakland.
Mason County ...
Oakland is located in Mason County<4>.
The following counties adjoin and form the boundaries of Mason County: Grays Harbor, Jefferson, Kitsap, Pierce & Thurston. The eastern boundary of the county is on Pudget Sound.
Curious and Interesting Names Near Oakland ...
It seems like there is always a nearby community with a name that seems interesting, maybe familiar or just catches our attention in some other way. We've collected some names which strike us as being curious or interesting. Our list can be found on the Tidbits & Trivia Page for Oakland.
Airports Near Oakland ...
When a trip includes a flight, we try to find an airport that best fits our travel plans.<5> To that purpose, we've assembled a list of that are relatively close to Oakland and that information can be found on the Airports Page for Oakland.
Websites We Enjoy ...
When we're planning a trip, we like to check the following websites for sights, attractions and places to visit.
- For the State of Washington:
- TripAdvisor Links for:
- Also of Interest:
Other Roadside Stops ...
Visit our Community Index for Washington
About Mason County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Oakland. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Mason County: www.co.mason.wa.us/
The official website for State of Washington: https://access.wa.gov/
|<1>||Population counts have been provided by the U.S. Census Bureau. For more detail, please visit our Census Page for Oakland.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Oakland) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Oakland. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 47.2270, Longitude: -123.0663 In this case, the coordinates for Oakland have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||If you're interested in how the shape of Washington's counties, including Mason, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<5>||When we are planning a trip (for example, to Oakland), we usually look for the obvious: the choice of airlines that fly into the airport, the number of flights, the connections we have to make, which car rentals are available, etc. We also look for sights and attractions that we might find between any given airport and our destination - we do love exploring. We're willing to fly into a more distant airport if we can get the services and amenities that we like. Even though our choice of airport might be inconvenient to others, it usually gives us a better trip.|