When we're on the road, rather than always picking an airport that is close to our destination, we try to see if there might be another airport that would better fit our travel plans.<1> To help with your planning, the following list of airports is organized by type and proximity to Stony Battery.
Please keep in mind that these airports were chosen based on their air-distance from Stony Battery. You should check the map and see how accessible they are when considering one airport over another.
For each of the airports listed below, we've linked to websites where detailed information about the airport can be found.
Of the airports that we know about, these are some of the closest to Stony Battery.
Large Airports ...
- Piedmont Triad Intl. (GSO/KGSO)
- Charlotte - Douglas Intl. (CLT/KCLT)
- McGhee Tyson Airport (TYS/KTYS)
- Raleigh - Durham Intl. (RDU/KRDU)
- Fayetteville Rgnl. (FAY/KFAY)
Smaller Airports with Scheduled Flights / Air Taxi Service ...
- Tri-Cities Rgnl. (TRI/KTRI)
- Raleigh County Meml. (BKW/KBKW)
- Greeneville Muni. (GCY/KGCY)
- Smith Reynolds Airport (INT/KINT)
- Continue List (3 more) ...
- Roanoke Rgnl. - Woodrum Fld. (ROA/KROA)
- Greenbrier Valley Airport (LWB/KLWB)
- Asheville Rgnl. (AVL/KAVL)
General Aviation Airports ...
- Mountain Empire Airport (ICAO: KMKJ)
- Ashe Co. Airport (ICAO: KGEV)
- Tazewell Co. Airport (ICAO: KJFZ)
- Johnson Co. Airport (FAA ID: 6A4)
- Johnson County Airport lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<2> miles to the south southwest of Stony Battery.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Johnson County Airport
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Virginia Highlands Airport (ICAO: KVJI)
- Twin Co. Airport (ICAO: KHLX)
- Elizabethton Muni. (ICAO: K0A9)
- Mercer Co. Airport (BLF/KBLF)
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Virginia Community
About Smyth County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Stony Battery. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Smyth County: www.smythcounty.org/
The official website for State of Virginia: https://www.virginia.gov/
|<1>||When we are planning a trip (for example, to Stony Battery), we usually look for the obvious: the choice of airlines that fly into the airport, the number of flights, the connections we have to make, which car rentals are available, etc. We also look for sights and attractions that we might find between any given airport and our destination - we do love exploring. We're willing to fly into a more distant airport if we can get the services and amenities that we like. Even though our choice of airport might be inconvenient to others, it usually gives us a better trip.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Stony Battery) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Stony Battery. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 36.7448, Longitude: -81.5651 In this case, the coordinates for Stony Battery have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).